The LaughingPlace Store
LP Lotion: Disney Celebrates 75-Year Relationship with Tournament of Roses Parade Cars Land Float
Page 1 of 7
The characters, fun and excitement of Cars Land are racing to Pasadena Jan. 1 as the town of Radiator Springs is transformed into a float for the 124th Rose Parade. The Disneyland Resort entry in the 2013 Rose Parade brings to life the whimsical magic of Cars Land for a worldwide television audience. Lightning McQueen, Sally and other “Cars” stars are featured on the float, along with floral replica of Cars Land attractions Radiator Springs Racers, Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree and Luigi’s Flying Tires. The parade steps off at 8 a.m. (PST) Tuesday, Jan. 1, in Pasadena, with the theme “Oh the Places You’ll Go.”
The Disney float, dubbed “Destination: Cars Land,” showcases the landmarks of Cars Land in a colorful re-creation of the roadside town of Radiator Springs. Shaped like the state of California, the 125-foot long float features flowing water, smoke-puffing baby tractors and 45 animated parts, including replicas of Lightning McQueen and Sally as they relive their fun-spirited road race from the first “Cars” movie. Mater, the tow truck, follows along behind the float.
The “Destination: Cars Land” float features many of the places and popular characters guests find at Cars Land.
- The Cars Land float stretches 125 feet long and 35 feet high, featuring high-energy music to entertain parade watchers.
- At the front of the float, is a postcard-style “Welcome to Cars Land” sign, flanked by a trio of “baby tractors” emitting puffs of smoke while their eyes move in a playful manner.
- Further “up the road” are likenesses of Lightning McQueen and Sally, moving forward and backward as if jockeying for race position.
- The main buildings of Radiator Springs are marked by spinning signs for the town’s landmarks, including the Cozy Cone Motel and Flo’s V-8 Café.
- Guests aboard the float will ride vehicles from two Cars Land attractions: a tractor from Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree and a bouncing tire from Luigi’s Flying Tires.
- The iconic Radiator Springs mountain range, a Cars Land landmark, is re-created on the float, with characters Luigi and Guido perched on the rocks.
- The mountain range is home to a miniature version of the popular Radiator Springs Racers attraction, complete with small-scale race cars zooming across the landscape.
- High above everything, Barney Stormin’ the airplane tows a banner that reads: “The Happiest Place on Earth Just Got Happier.”
Disney Celebrates 75-Year Relationship with Tournament of Roses
- The appearance of “Destination: Cars Land” in the 2013 Rose Parade marks the continuation of a 75-year tradition of Disney involvement with the Tournament of Roses in Pasadena.
- Disney’s relationship with the Tournament of Roses began in 1938 when characters from the newly premiered “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” were prominently featured in the parade.
- The Rose Queen and her Court, along with the competing Rose Bowl football teams, have visited Disneyland Resort each year since 1960.
- In 1966, Walt Disney served as Grand Marshall of the parade. Roy E. Disney, Walt’s nephew and the head of Disney Animation, served as Grand Marshall in 2000. Members of the Disney creative team from Walt Disney Imagineering and Disney Entertainment have served as float judges numerous times.
- In 2004, Disneyland Resort presented “A Sudden Drop in Pitch,” the tallest float in Rose Parade history (110 feet, with live performers at the top). The float’s title played off that year’s theme of “Music, Music, Music,” and the float was inspired by The Twilight Zone™ Tower of Terror” attraction, which opened in Disney California Adventure that spring.
- The 50th Anniversary of Disneyland was celebrated in 2005 with both a dazzling Rose Parade Opening Show and a spectacular castle float called “The Happiest Celebration on Earth.” Mickey Mouse served as Grand Marshall.
- In 2006, the longest float (150 feet) in Rose Parade history, entitled “The Most Magical Celebration on Earth,” celebrated Disney Parks around the world.
- In addition to Rose Parade float entries, Disney has presented many Rose Parade Opening Shows through the years, celebrating such milestones as the 35th Anniversary of Disneyland in 1990, the debut of the Indiana Jones Adventure in Disneyland in 1995, and the motion picture premiere of “Fantasia 2000,” in 2000.
Click below to play the videos
Nondescript warehouse in Azusa California is site of Artistic Entertainment Services
Click here for a larger version of this picture (1024 X 683, 329,712 bytes)
Disneyland Resort float, in two parts, is largest in Rose Parade
Click here for a larger version of this picture (1024 X 683, 304,603 bytes)