Page 1 of 1
"A very merry unbirthday to you"
Thank You, Again
On February 1st LaughingPlace.com celebrated six months in existance, and we couldn't be happier. Our original goal in creating this site was to create a place where Disney fans could come and get the latest news on Disney presented in a fair, accurate and easy to read manner. We also wanted to present special features and columns, have a directory of Disney websites and have some fun with online polls and trivia contests. Eventually we hoped to open a discussion board where Disney fans could communite in a more direct maner.
Now six months later all of those goals have been acheived. We get Feedback all the time from readers telling us they visit every day to read the news. Our features are consistantly well received. The columns always generate lots of reader comments. We have the largest Disney-exclusive website directory on the net with over 1,000 sites and the only Disney search engine that I'm aware of where the sites themselves are searchable, not just the directory. We're almost up to Trivia Contest #30 and we've given away hundreds of dollars worth of prizes. We often hear from our readers that they consider us one of the best Disney sites on the web. Considering the sheer number of sites out there, that makes us very, very happy.
And so I once again I say Thank You to every one of you. Thank you for reading the stories, thank you for participating in the discussion boards, thank you for taking the polls, thank you for entering the trivia contests and thank you for spreading the word. We have many, many plans for the next six months and we're always interested in hearing your ideas as well. Please feel free to send us Feedback at any time for any reason. We love to hear from you.
Once again, Thank You.
News of the Week
Here are last week's major stories:
- The January 31st Orlando Business Journal offers a brief look into the future of Walt Disney World travel and reports there are currently no plans to close the Carousel of Progress.
- ZDNet offers a look into Disney's recent decision to step out of the portal contest.
- On January 30 Disneyland and Walt Disney World went non-smoking except in designated areas. Click here for details from Disneyland.
- According to a short segment from an Orlando Sentinel article, Mission Space at Epcot is almost a go for a 2003 opening replacing the Horizons pavilion. You'll need to scroll down some to find that section in the linked article.
- The Nickel Tour - 2nd Edition, authored by Imagineers Bruce Gordon and David Mumford, follows Disneyland history through postcards images. Throughout its 392 pages readers will find more than 1200 illustrations. This second edition has more than 100 new illustrations. The Nickel Tour is $75 plus tax and shipping and can be ordered directly from the publishers.
- The Animation Artist Magazine in their February 3rd update have added information about upcoming Disney projects Kingdom of the Sun and Dinosaur.
- Disney has put out a press release detailing some of the features of the Animal Kingdom Lodge currently under construction and scheduled for a Spring, 2001 opening.
In honor of Valentine's Day, this week's trivia contest is all about Disney Love. This week's Online Poll asks the question "Would you like to be able to purchase theme park merchandise outside the theme parks"? Look for another book review from Ken Pellman as well and don't forget to participate in our new Discussion Boards.
Starting this week the Editor's Report is moving to Tuesdays instead of Mondays.
-- Doobie Moseley (February 8, 2000)
Editor's Report: Doobie's look at the world of Disney and what's coming up on LaughingPlace.com in the coming week.
The Editor's Report is posted every Tuesday.