Toon Talk: Inspector Gadget 2 DVD
Page 2 of 2
If it all sounds painfully predictable, it is. Softening the edges of familiarity a bit is some inventive, toon-like camerawork from director Alex Zamm (who also co-wrote the script), some nifty, yet obviously low budget, special effects (such as Claw's freeze-ray terrorizing the city) and the refreshing performance of Wachs as the book-smart, street-wise junior G-girl Penny. As has always been the case through the many incarnations of Inspector Gadget, she is the real star of the show.
Bonus Feature Highlights:
- Inexplicably, this direct-to-video sequel has been granted the full DVD treatment, including not one, but two audio commentaries (one featuring Stewart, Hendrix and Zamm, the other featuring Zamm alone), an option to watch the film with the soundtrack only (huh?), twelve deleted scenes (with or without commentary by Zamm, including more scenes of Penny and the Gadgetmobile as well as unseen gadgets such as the â€˜nose picker'), outtakes, a storyboard-to-screen comparison, a music video (pop tart Rose Falcon sings the end title song "Up Up Upâ€? ... while sitting on a toilet), and the prerequisite â€˜making of' feature The Gadgets Behind Gadget's Gadgets (wherein one can finally see Martin's face and Stewart doing some of his own stunt work) and DVD game (Gadget Training Simulator). All this for ... Inspector Gadget 2 ... ???
Toon Talk Rating: C+
Toon Talk Trivia:
- On television, French Stewart voiced Icarus in Hercules and Rentwhistle Swack in Buzz Lightyear of Star Command. He can also be heard as the Termite-ator in the It's Tough To Be a Bug theme park attraction.
- Elaine Hendrix most recently appeared in Mr. Saint Nick on The Wonderful World of Disney, and played Meredith Blake in the Parent Trap remake.
- Caitlin Wachs starred as Andrea in the last two Air Bud sequels, World Pup and Seventh Inning Fetch.
Coming Soon in Toon Talk:
- ... and this little piggy ... gets his own movie? Piglet's Big Movie hits the big screen starting March 21st.
- A true toon classic, Who Framed Roger Rabbit gets the deluxe, 2 disc Vista Edition treatment, available March 25th.
- Billed as â€˜an immersive 3-D adventure', Oscar-winner James Cameron's Ghosts of the Abyss starts its exclusive engagements April 11th.
-- Kirby C. Holt
Kirby, a former Walt Disney World Resort Cast Member (and Trivia Champ), is a lifelong Disney fan and film buff. He is also an avid list maker and chronic ellipsis user ...
Took Talk: Disney Film & Video Reviews by Kirby C. Holt is posted whenever there's something new to review.
The opinions expressed by our Kirby C. Holt, and all of our columnists, do not necessarily represent the feelings of LaughingPlace.com or any of its employees or advertisers. All speculation and rumors about the future plans of the Walt Disney Company are just that - speculation and rumors - and should be treated as such.
-- Posted March 17, 2003