New parking structure

Discussion in 'Disneyland News, Rumors and General Discussion' started by brian8871, Aug 10, 2016.

Tags:
Random Thread
  1. Dabob2

Dabob2 Well-Known Member

For DTD restaurants it's probably a plus, or at least a wash (there's the downside of non-park visitors now having to go through security to go to DTD, a potential PITA that may cause some non-park would-be-DTD-visitors to opt for other local restaurants instead).

For the restaurants on Harbor, though, it's unquestionably going to hurt. I wouldn't be surprised to see some close after all this takes effect, especially if/when the crosswalk closes.

Which, by the way, is supposed to be... when?

2. FerretAfros

FerretAfros Active Member

I haven't heard anything, but given the scale of the project it would probably take 18-24 months to construct the pedestrian bridge and associated walkways/security areas. They don't appear to have broken ground on any of this yet (work may have begun on the parking structure, but that's not clear), so I wouldn't expect the existing crosswalk to be removed until the first half of 2019.

If they really want to rush it, I think they could probably get the pedestrian facilities ready in 12-18 months, but that might be tough with the maintenance of traffic requirements on Harbor Blvd and Disney's typically slow construction schedules

3. Dabob2

Dabob2 Well-Known Member

Pretty amazing that in 1954-55 they built the whole park in a year, and now it takes them 1-2 years to do a pedestrian bridge!

4. ni_teach

ni_teach Member

To be fair back in 1954 there was nothing else around. Building a pedestrian bridge without having to block a major street is a major undertaking.

5. Dabob2

Dabob2 Well-Known Member

Sure. But a 2-year undertaking?

6. berol

berol Member

It'll be months more just to get city approval. They're only in the workshopping phase.

7. FerretAfros

FerretAfros Active Member

That's pretty standard for roadway projects like this. Most of the construction is cast-in-place concrete, which requires time to set the forms and lots of time to cure. The work also has to be done in phases to allow traffic to continue to flow on Harbor. Although the end result is pretty simple, the construction process is a lot more complicated than assembling an erector set-like steel building (depending what method they use for the garage, it could go from essentially nothing to completion in 8 months or so)

Also, keep in mind that much of the park's original build-out was done with far more relaxed building codes and worker protections. Any construction project in 2017 will be a lot more time consuming than the equivalent project in 1955 (not to mention the hasty work that's been systematically rebuilt and replaced through the years, which isn't as feasible with transportation projects)

8. Dabob2

Dabob2 Well-Known Member

That last part was kind of my point. It's just a different world than it was in the 50's, both good or bad (of course, it's some of both).

Two years still seems excessive to me, but I'm actually glad it will take them a while, because I will miss the crosswalk if they do indeed do away with it.

9. Jim in Merced CA

Jim in Merced CA Moderator

Finally - the company is cleaning up the area around Disneyland once and for all. Walts dying wish! As the various restaurants go out of business, Disneyland can buy up the land and expand the resort.