"What if Trump had won as a Democrat?"

Discussion in 'World Events' started by mawnck, Jul 10, 2017.

Random Thread
  1. mawnck

mawnck Well-Known Member

Now THIS is conservative satire done right - not least because it seems scary-accurate.

What If Trump Had Won As a Democrat?

January 31, 2017

Tweeting that Judge Merrick Garland was “a low-energy snooze,” Trump formally nominates Michelle Obama to the United States Supreme Court to replace the late Antonin Scalia. To gasps from White House reporters, a smiling Trump says, “How do you like this? Aren’t you surprised?” He extols the former first lady as “a really tremendous person who calls it like she sees it.” The selection wins universal praise from mainstream media outlets. “I can’t believe I’m saying this,” Rosie O’Donnell gushes on Twitter, “but this is the best decision any president has made since Lincoln.” “I couldn’t be prouder,” says former President Obama. “But I guess this means when Michelle tells me to take out the garbage, it carries a little more weight now.” Gallup registers Trump’s approval rating at 53 percent.

February 2, 2017

Melania Trump is warmly welcomed to the set of "The View," where the hosts take turns praising the first lady for her fashion sense, ability to speak multiple languages and “humanizing” effect on the president. “She’s the most glamorous first lady since Jackie Kennedy,” says Joy Behar. Copies of a special edition of People magazine focused on the first family fly off the shelves at Whole Foods and the Park Slope Co-op.

2. Yookeroo

Yookeroo Active Member

Well, that was stupid. It starts with the assumption that both parties are the same,and goes downhill from there. For starters, Trump couldn't win as a Democrat. There aren't enough racist and sexist Democrats.

FaMulan likes this.
  3. mawnck

mawnck Well-Known Member

What makes you think Trump would've been racist and sexist if he were running as a Democrat?

4. Dabob2

Dabob2 Well-Known Member

I've lived in NY all my adult life, and been watching Trump since the 80's. He may not have "run on" being sexist or racist if he ran as a Democrat, but he would have been sexist and racist. Moreover, it would have been pretty hard for him to hide it; he's never made much of an effort to do so. Even if he made an effort to hide it in 2015-2016, it would have come out. His Democratic opponents would have made an issue of it, and there's no way one can win the Democratic nomination today with the history of racism and sexism that Trump has. For starters, African-Americans make up 30-60% of the Democratic primary electorate in quite a few states. Add to that whites who would legitimately never vote for a racist or sexist, who also make up a good percentage of the Democratic primary electorate.

Trump was nominally a Democrat in NYC because until Giuliani broke through, Democrats were the only game in town in NYC politics. If you wanted favors from the people who mattered, you made sure you were a Democrat. And so in NYC you had Democrats ranging from very liberal to, well, not.

That said, it's interesting to read satire like that; it's always good to ask yourself if you also have knee-jerk reactions and a tendency to overlook the transgressions of the members of "your team." But Trump could never have gotten the Democratic nomination in 2016.

Yookeroo likes this.
  5. Yookeroo

Yookeroo Active Member

Then he wouldn't be Trump.