Page 1 of 6
Cool Stuff to See and Do and Buy and Collect
Instead of focusing on any particular "thing" in this months column - I thought that Id share a few cool events, products, collectables and promotions that might interest the collector in you.
Made in California - A
Celebration of Walt Disney Art Classics
Disneyland Resort - April 19th - 21st, 2002
Mickey at the camera is ready to film the fun.
(c) DisneyClick here for a much larger version of this picture
(500 X 751, 92,448 bytes)
On the top of my list of cool things to see and do and buy and collect is the upcoming Walt Disney Art Classics Convention to be held the weekend of April 19 - 21, 2002 - for the first time in three years being held on the west coast - at the Disneyland Resort. I was lucky enough to have participated in a fun-filled fan-based focus group that brainstormed for this event during a meeting in July of last year - and if its as much fun as blue-skying it was - it should be a wall-to-wall ball.
Forget what youve heard about the problems with the ODC (Official Disneyana Convention) over the years or the bad press youve read about any other Disney Company merchandise event - the WDAC Convention team "gets it". This group has been in the Disneyana marketplace for years - I first met some of the team nearly eleven years ago - even went to high school with one member. And, what sets them apart from almost every other merchandise division in the Disney Company is that they understand the two most important factors in the long term success of the marketplace - they have learned the role of the collectable in the realm of Disney merchandise and what a "collect-able" actually is - and they also understand the myriad-machinations in the psyche of a collector.
As Lee Zoppa, Managing Director of Walt Disney Art Classics, explains the move from WDW to the DLR, "The biggest difference from our previous conventions in Florida is that this year we're producing the convention in our own backyard and we're able to offer something that collectors have been requesting for years - - an extensive tour of the original Walt Disney Studios here in Burbank, which we are very excited about presenting. Additionally, we listen very carefully to out guests and collectors and following feedback received from last year's convention and a focus group during the NFFC meeting in July we have been able to incorporate most of the suggestions submitted to us - - the number one suggestion being a tour of the Studio."
This convention is equal parts merchandise and event - with a hearty dose of fun, friendship and food added to the mix. Events over the three days include -
- An Exclusive and Exciting Backstage tour of the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank - including lunch at the Studio Cafeteria and a shop-stop at the Studio Disney Store.
- A Delightful One-Of-A-Kind Dinner Experience inside Disneys California Adventure.
- Entertaining Presentations featuring Disney Legend Sam McKim, noted film historian and TV personality Leonard Maltin.
- A Conversation with Tony Baxter, well known as a world-famous Disney Imagineer but he is also an avid collector of the Walt Disney Classics Collection, Disneyana and Hollywood memorabilia. We will review with Tony highlights of his collection and review some of his amazing Disney career accomplishments.
- An Informative and Fun Walt Disney Classics Collection sculpture painting class.
- Special Appearances by such Noted WDAC Artists and Sculptors as David Pacheco, Patrick Romady-Simmons and Bruce Lau.
- WDCC Sculpture Unveiling and Retirement Ceremony.
- A Special 10th Anniversary Celebration of the Walt Disney Classics Collection.
- Event Exclusive Limited Edition and Event Exclusive Logo Merchandise.
- A One-Day One-Park Passport for either Disneyland Park or Disneys California Adventure.
- And Many Moore Surprises - if I know this team - to unfold during the Event.
"All I can say at this point is that there will be a few surprises, as always, along the way." Lee added, "I must add that since our first convention in 1999 our 'Celebration of Walt Disney Art Classics' has consistently enjoyed a very favorable reaction from our guests. I think the fact that it is a small, intimate convention (restricted to only 500 guests) really gives it a feeling of less a convention and more like a yearly family reunion. All of us at Walt Disney Art Classics always look forward to hosting our guests at the Convention and we look forward to seeing everyone, along with some new faces, in April at The Disneyland Resort."
Dont they look like a fun team? Lee Zoppa, Managing Director of Walt Disney Art Classics and Tim ODay, Content Producer for the Convention at the recent NFFC Strictly Disneyana Show & Sale.
Click here for a much larger version of this picture
(952 X 676, 61,648 bytes)
Lee also felt like teasing about the Event Exclusive Sculptures, "The official sculpture for the 2002 "Celebration of Walt Disney Art Classics" is - - - sorry, can't tell you. But I can tell you that it is derived from a classic Disney show and ties-in very well with our overall theme. Also please note that a pre-order form will be mailed out to registered guests prior to the Event. This color mailer will show images of many of the merchandise items that will be available at the Convention."
Reservation materials for the 500 convention spaces have already gone out to attendees of the past WDAC conventions and to the membership of the Walt Disney Collectors Society. Each of the previous WDAC Conventions have sold out and there are less than 75 reservations remaining and they are bound to book very quickly. Reservations for the event are on a first-come first-served basis and merchandise pre-order forms will be sent to all registered guests prior to the event.
There are two WDAC Convention package options available:
- Event Credentials Only package - no hotel room - at $495.00 far adult and $485.00 for children (3 to 9 years-old)
- Event Credentials with hotel - at the Disneyland Hotel -
Accommodations package - adult prices are -
- $920.50 for a single
- $707.75 for a double
- $636.83 for a triple
- $601.38 for a quad
- $495.00 for juniors (10 to 17) and $485.00 for children (3 to 9)
Guests wishing to extend their stay at the Disneyland Hotel - subject to availability - may do so a room rate of $212.75 per night.
Any questions about the 2002 Celebration of Walt Disney Art Classics can be answered by calling Walt Disney Event Services at (407)-827-7600. Faxes can be sent to (407)-566-1387.
Or by mail to:
A Celebration of Walt Disney Art Classics
Walt Disney Event Services
Post Office Box 10345
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830
Or by e-mail at - WDW.Event.Reservations@Disney.com
LaughingPlace will be there covering all the fun and festivities. For more information on Walt Disney Art Classics you can surf their site at www.disneyartclassics.com.