The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Food & Wine Classic returns for the fifth year to the Epcot Resort Area hotel October 31 – November 1, featuring more than 40 food and wine stations; 10 food and wine seminars and the opportunity to meet the masters behind the culinary magic.
Amidst a backdrop of live entertainment, celebratory surprises and even some spooky fun on Halloween night, guests will enjoy numerous opportunities to sip and savor all weekend as they stroll along the hotel’s causeway.
The two-night event offers an enticing array of culinary options from the hotel’s award-winning signature restaurants: Il Mulino New York Trattoria, Shula’s Steak House and Todd English’s bluezoo, as well as wine and spirits sampling from around the globe.
The food selections are as innovative as they are enticing, ranging from Italian arancini, marrying Carnaroli rice, Osso Buco and spicy tomato sauce, and the Asian-inspired grilled scallops with puffed rice, edamame and ponzu jelly; to barbeque handcrafted bacon, accented with sweet potato puree and caramelized onions. And, the hotel’s World Champion Pastry Chef, Laurent Branlard, provides intrigue on the sweeter side with finishing touches like a chocolate crunch Napoleon with hazelnut daquoise and chocolate whipped cream, and a lemon peel mousse dome with blueberry cream and lemon angel food cake at its center.
“We’re excited about the fifth annual Swan and Dolphin Food & Wine Classic,” said the hotel’s Director of Food & Beverage, Tony Porcellini. “This year, we’ll present even more intriguing wine selections from around the globe; showcase our culinary creativity with exciting new dishes; expand on our seminar offerings, and introduce a beer garden! Our goal is to make this event bigger and better each year and have fun doing it!”
New to the event this year are:
- A beer garden, featuring a variety of local and seasonal brews from around the world, alongside homemade bar snacks made by the hotel’s culinary experts. An upgraded ticket option provides guests access to the beer garden.
- The Cheese Course seminar, which pays homage to fromage with a unique look at the art of wine and cheese pairing.
- The Fine Art of Sushi and Sake seminar, which will teach guests how to identify quality sushi and sake flavor profiles and pair the two.
- A hands-on Caipirinha seminar, where guests will learn both the traditional recipe and try some unique twists to this ever-popular Brazilian cocktail.
- Tequila University, offering an in-depth look at tequila, its different styles, the artisans who make it and the secrets to making the perfect margarita.
Returning seminars include: pasta-making, Italian wines, modern mixology, beer, wine-blending and champagne. All seminars require separate tickets in addition to the causeway tickets, and space is limited.
To add to the event’s appeal, guests can enjoy a meet and greet with celebrity chef Todd English, the namesake of the hotel’s Todd English’s bluezoo restaurant. Guests can also meet and enjoy world-class desserts from the hotel’s very own executive pastry chef, Laurent Branlard, the world’s only two-time World Champion Pastry Chef. Barbeque fans shouldn’t miss the Cib’s Smoke House station for signature barbeque dishes from the hotel’s executive chef Robert Ciborowski.
With 17 restaurants and lounges, a distinguished culinary and beverage team and unmatched customer service, the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Hotel continually receives national recognition for its food and beverage program. The hotel boasts more than 70 certified wine sommeliers and 1,400 wine selections, including organic and rare vintages. The hotel’s restaurants are annual winners of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence including Shula’s Steak House, a three-time recipient of the exclusive Best of Award of Excellence.
Tickets to the Swan and Dolphin Food & Wine Classic are available as part of a hotel package or individually. For more information or to book, please visit www.
What: Fifth Annual Swan and Dolphin Food & Wine Classic
Info: The Fifth Annual Swan and Dolphin Food & Wine Classic at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Hotel returns October 31 – November 1, showcasing a vast array of food and beverage options along with informative seminars conducted by members of the hotel’s award-winning food and beverage team. Highlighting the event is the appearance of celebrity chef Todd English.
The Swan and Dolphin Food & Wine Classic consists of 10 food and beverage seminars, live entertainment, a new beer garden and more than 40 food and beverage stations, featuring appetizing selections from the hotel’s signature restaurants: Shula’s Steak House, Il Mulino New York Trattoria and Todd English’s bluezoo, as well as wines, beers and cocktails from around the world.
When: Friday, October 31, and Saturday, November 1
5:30–9 p.m. (for seminar schedule, check www.
Where: Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Hotel Causeway
1500 Epcot Resorts Blvd.
Lake Buena Vista, Florida 32830
Ticket Information: – One and two-night packages, including tickets to the outdoor festival for two and overnight accommodations, are available starting at $315 per night
- Advance purchase event-only tickets are available for $95 per person, including taxes and include unlimited food and beverage samples on the causeway
-Upgraded tickets that include the beer garden are $115 per person, including taxes
- Beverage seminars are $45 per person, per class including taxes
- Pasta making and pairing seminars are $60 per person including taxes
Coverage of the NFL pre-season, the start of College Football, the FIBA World Cup, and MLB’s pennant race propelled ESPN to a record-setting August in the digital sports category, according to comScore’s multi-platform report. ESPN reached 82.4 million unique users across computers, smartphones and tablets, the largest total for a single month in category history and an increase of 42 percent from a year ago.
On mobile devices alone, 61.3 million unique users accessed ESPN content, setting a category record for mobile reach, fueled by 42.2 million people visiting ESPN.com via smartphones and tablets.
Fans spent 5.5 billion minutes using ESPN digital properties, a category record for the month of August and up 8 percent from a year ago. Overall, ESPN accounted for 25.4 percent of all sports category usage on digital platforms, more than the Nos. 2 and 3 properties combined (Yahoo! Sports-NBC Sports Network had 12.9 percent, Fox Sports Digital-Sporting News Media 10.8 percent.)
More results from the August comScore multi-platform report:
- In the average minute throughout August, 123,160 people used ESPN digital properties on computers, smartphones and tablets – a larger total day audience than Fox Sports 1 (106,704) and NBC Sports Network (74,058) on television. Among males 18 to 49 ESPN digital properties had a larger average minute audience than every Nielsen-measured national cable sports network aside from ESPN and NFL Network.1
- ESPN was the eighth most-used digital property in the U.S. by males 18-49, more than Twitter, Amazon, eBay and Wikipedia, among others.
- An average of 17.8 million people in the U.S. accessed ESPN content across devices on a daily basis in August, up from 12.3 million a year ago.
- August was the 12th consecutive month in which more unique people visited ESPN on smartphones and tablets than on desktop and laptop computers (35.1 million uniques, 2.5 billion minutes of usage.) 74 percent of ESPN’s total users accessed content on mobile devices, which generated 3.0 billion minutes of usage.
- August was the fifth straight month in which more than half of ESPN’s unique digital users (57 percent, 47.3 million people) exclusively accessed ESPN content on smartphones and tablets.
- 55 percent of all time spent with ESPN digital content was consumed by mobile device users, the seventh time in the past 10 months that smartphones and tablets contributed a larger share of usage to ESPN’s digital total than desktop and laptop computers.
- ESPN accounted for three of the top four sports apps on smartphones and tablets in August in terms of unique users, with SportsCenter (12.0 million) topping the category, accompanied by No. 2 WatchESPN (5.7 million) and No. 4 ESPN Fantasy Football (5.1 million). ESPN’s portfolio of apps generated 1.5 billion minutes of usage, more than any other sports media property.
Additional results from ESPN Research & Analytics:
- 5.35 million unique devices streamed WatchESPN and ESPN3 content in August (up 61 percent from a year ago), as viewers spent 766 million minutes with programming across all platforms (up 101 percent). WatchESPN experienced it’s most-viewed non-FIFA World Cup month since June 2013.2
- Fans watched 404.1 million ESPN digital video clips in August, the fifth highest monthly total ever, and up 48 percent from a year ago. August marked the fourth straight month with more than 400 million clips viewed. 100.8 million video clip views came from mobile phones, a new record. 64 percent of all clips were viewed on computers, 28 percent on phones and tablets, and 7 percent on connected TVs.2
ESPN networks and ABC sports television content generated 9.4 million tweets in August, accounting for 15 percent of all TV-related activity during the month. ESPN itself was the third most-social TV network (broadcast or cable) in August, with 1.4 million unique authors sending 4.5 million tweets about ESPN programming.2 Other key social media metrics:
- ESPN’s top Twitter accounts were retweeted or favorited 7.7 million times, up 150 percent from a year ago.4
- 7.1 million people engaged with the ESPN Facebook page (liked a post, shared a story, left a comment) up 195 percent from last year, and 11.5 million also engaged with the SportsCenter page (+500 percent).5
- There were 35.9 million views of ESPN video on Twitter in August, a new record. 2
1 Source: Nielsen Media Research, 8/1-8/31/14
2 Source: Adobe Analytics
3 Source: Nielsen SocialGuide
4 Source: Twitter
5 Source: Facebook
Disney Interactive and Marvel today launched Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes – the follow up to last year’s #1 best-selling new hybrid toy / video game of 2013 (according to the NPD Group’s video games retail sales data). The game is available for the PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment systems, Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system and Xbox 360 games and entertainment system from Microsoft, and the Wii U™ system from Nintendo.
The Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes Starter Pack features the 2.0 game software, the Disney Infinity 2.0 Base, Marvel’s The Avengers Play Set with three character figures (Iron Man, Black Widow and Thor), two Toy Box Game Discs, a web code card and countless hours of creative play in the all-new Toy Box 2.0. Marvel’s Spider-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy Play Sets, along with additional figures from those worlds, will be sold separately. All characters and Power Discs from last year’s release of Disney Infinity are compatible with Toy Box 2.0.
“With the launch of Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes (2.0 Edition), we’re delivering fresh storylines – for some of Marvel’s most iconic characters – to one of the biggest video game franchises on the market,” said Peter Phillips, EVP and General Manager, Interactive & Digital Distribution at Marvel Entertainment. “This is one of the most important game launches in Marvel history, and we believe that fans and collectors of all ages will be wowed by the experience.”
The new game introduces interactive Super Hero figures from across the Marvel universe with original Play Set storylines written with the help of award-winning Marvel comic writer Brian Michael Bendis. Each new character brings a variety of super-powered and unique gameplay mechanics such as flying, web slinging, wall crawling, wall smashing and more.
An improved Toy Box 2.0 mode makes it easier for players to create and share their one-of-a-kind levels and games with family and friends using their favorite Marvel and Disney characters, vehicles, settings and items. New and enhanced Toy Box tools and toys will make the groundbreaking game mode even more accessible for players of all ages. Toy Box Game Discs deliver new structured gameplay modes to the Toy Box where players can engage in classic Dungeon Crawler and Tower Defense gameplay using any character from across the Disney Infinity universe.
“For the 2.0 version of Disney Infinity, we’ve re-tooled nearly every aspect of the game to ensure it matched the epic expectations of Marvel Super Hero fans around the world,” said John Blackburn, SVP and General Manager of Avalanche Software. “Whether they’re playing with the entirely new character skills and combat systems, exploring Play Sets four times larger than the original version, or building worlds in the new Toy Box, we hope fans will be blown away by the evolution of Disney Infinity.”
Community continues to play an important role in Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes, with the availability of new Toy Boxes created by the recently hired Avalanche Software Community Team. These super-fans turned level designers will be designing immersive, themed Toy Boxes and episodic content for Disney Infinity players to download for free at launch and beyond. Also available at launch will be select Toy Boxes designed by Toy Box Artists from around the world at the inaugural Disney Infinity Toy Box Summit this past August.
Developed by Avalanche Software, the Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes Starter Pack carries a suggested retail price of $74.99 and all versions are rated “E-10+” by the ESRB. The Spider-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy Play Sets are available separately for a suggested retail price of $34.99. Individual character figures are available for a suggested retail price of $13.99 and blind Power Disc packs for $4.99.
Marguerite Moreau, who played Connie in the first two Mighty Ducks films, shared pictures on Instagram of a 20th anniversary reunion held with some of her fellow cast members. Check them out to see what the cast looks like today.
This October, the Avengers and X-Men stand together, storming the beaches of Genosha. Today, Marvel is proud to present your first look inside AVENGERS & X-MEN: AXIS #2, the next blockbuster chapter hitting comic shops and digital devices on 10/15, one week after the highly anticipated first issue! Superstar creators Rick Remender and Adam Kubert unite for an epic battle pitting an army of Avengers & X-Men against the Red Skull and his hordes. Only not everything is as it seems…
The Red Skull’s unmatched psychic potential knows no bounds. And he has yet to reveal his master plan. A dark secret that promises to shatter the fragile alliance of A and X – and leave broken bodies in its wake. A secret stretching back to the days of the super hero Civil War. A secret poised to upend the life of Tony Stark and all he cares for.
Even united, fighting as one, Avengers and X-Men may not be enough to stop the Red Skull. Can anything? Amid the battle raging in his Mutant Reeducation camps, the heroes on both sides will pay a terrible price, and Magneto will betray his alliances to join an army of evil. The Red Supremacy is upon us – have the heroes already lost? No fan can afford to miss the explosive next chapter of the comic book event of the fall when AVENGERS & X-MEN: AXIS #2 hits comic shops and digital devices on October 15th!
There’s a fine line between good & evil. Find out how thin as the battle rages on in AVENGERS & X-MEN: AXIS #2!
Plus, before Avengers & X-Men: AXIS kicks off, follow the events leading up to the blockbuster comic event of the year with Avengers & X-Men: AXIS – The Story So Far. Relive the war between Avengers and X-Men over the Phoenix Force, the Avengers Unity Squad’s first battle with the Red Skull in the pages of Uncanny Avengers and more.
ESPN will provide comprehensive coverage of Derek Jeter’s final week in Major League Baseball, highlighted by SportsCenter Special: Derek Jeter on Friday, Sept. 26, at 7:30 p.m. ET. Host Karl Ravech, analysts Curt Schilling, Aaron Boone, Mark Mulder and ESPN MLB Insiders Buster Olney, Tim Kurkjian and Keith Law will look back at Jeter’s career and accomplishments while examining his rank among all-time Yankees legends.
SportsCenter & Baseball Tonight
SportsCenter’s coverage throughout the week will include Pedro Gomez reporting from Yankee Stadium on Thursday, Sept. 25, leading up to and following Jeter’s final game in the Bronx and Jeremy Schaap reporting live from Fenway Park on Sunday, Sept. 28, prior to the final game of Jeter’s career.
Additional SportsCenter elements include a compilation of Jeter’s “ultimate” highlights, a remix of highlights from award-winning DJ and music video producer DJ Steve Porter, essays from ESPN MLB Insiders Buster Olney and Tim Kurkjian, a look back at the Jeter Farewell Tour with SportsCenter’s Neil Everett, a feature on the scout who scouted Jeter for the Yankees and excerpts of Jeter’s interview at the 2014 MLB All-Star Game with analyst Aaron Boone.
ESPN MLB analysts Eduardo Perez, Doug Glanville and Mark Mulder will also contribute to SportsCentercoverage from ESPN’s Bristol, Conn. campus while Baseball Tonight will preview and discuss Jeter’s farewell throughout the week with episodes at approximately 10 p.m. and 12 a.m. or 1 a.m. each night.
Outside The Lines
Chris Connelly reports on fans contemplating life (in the Bronx) without the Yankees’ star shortstop on Sunday, Sept. 28, at 8 a.m. on ESPN2.
Yankees Host Orioles on ESPN
ESPN will televise one of Jeter’s final games at Yankee Stadium on Tuesday, Sept. 23, at 7 p.m. when the Yankees host the Baltimore Orioles. Jon Sciambi, analyst Rick Sutcliffe and analyst/reporter Doug Glanville will provide commentary for the full national telecast.
Jon Sciambi and analyst Chris Singleton will provide commentary for ESPN Radio’s broadcast of Derek Jeter’s final game at Yankee Stadium on Thursday, Sept. 25, with pre-game coverage beginning at 6 p.m.The Freddie Coleman Show will follow directly with full post-game coverage. Jorge Sedano will also host an ESPN Radio special on Jeter’s career on Sunday, Sept. 28, at 7 p.m.
ESPN Digital and Print Media
ESPN.com, ESPN The Magazine and ESPN New York will offer special content chronicling Derek Jeter’s farewell and examining his legacy including:
- Contributions from ESPN MLB Insiders Buster Olney, Jayson Stark and Jim Caple;
- An examination of the marketing and merchandizing of Jeter from reporter Darren Rovell;
- A Numbers column from Peter Keating exploring Jeter’s ‘marquee value’ rating from the Fansourced issue of ESPN The Magazine, currently on newsstands;
- An exploration of Jeter’s role in American life from J.R. Moehringer for the Cleveland issue of ESPN The Magazine, which hits newsstands on Friday, Oct. 3;
- ESPN New York content from Andrew Marchand and Ian O’Connor exploring Jeter’s relationship with umpires and his future after baseball;
- Social media integration across platforms utilizing the hashtag #FarewellJeter
ESPN.com highlights will also include photo galleries of Jeter’s career and his Topps baseball cards over time, an interactive SportsNation ranking of his top 10 plays and a quiz about which retirement gifts came from various MLB teams.
The AP is reporting that with a worldwide gross of over $6.2 billion, “The Lion King” stage musical is now the top box office draw in any media in all time. The show took over that claim from “The Phantom of the Opera” this summer who congratulated The Lion King by calling the Disney show “The Pride of Broadway.”
Speaking on the milestone Thomas Schumacher, president and producer at Disney Theatrical Productions said, “It’s difficult not to become emotional at this realization of the show’s impact. Our goal then was to tell the story purely and theatrically so that audiences could feel it in their heart. And, to this day, that is the audience experience whether they see the show in Madrid; Appleton, Wisconsin; South Africa; Tokyo or Broadway. Of that, we are deeply proud.”
The Lion King premiered on Broadway in 1997. It is directed by Julie Taymor, the musical features songs by Elton John and lyrics from Tim Rice.