Toon Talk: Pocahontas: 10th Anniversary Special Edition DVD
Page 3 of 3
Finishing out the collection is The Release section, featuring two Trailers (including the original theatrical teaser that introduced "Colors of the Wind" to the world), a featurette on the film's unique Premiere in Central Park (the largest film debut in history, with multiple 8-story screens, special 70 mm prints and, of course being Disney and all, a live stage show and fireworks), a Multi-Language Reel (hear an international blend of beautiful voices sing "Colors") and a Publicity Gallery, which, along with the usual movie posters and other promotional artwork, also includes a bizarre Harper's Bazaar fashion layout, starring Poca herself modeling designs by the likes of Versace and Mizrahi.
Toon Talk Rating: A-
In this ‘Toon Talk’ feature, I’ll briefly highlight a recommended film or DVD, outside of the Disney universe, of similar interest to the main subject.
For a drastically different take on another Native American icon (and if you prefer your national history sans musical accompaniment), take a look at Geronimo: An American Legend (1993, Columbia/Tri-Star DVD, Rated PG-13). Directed by Walter Hill, headlined by Oscar winners Gene Hackman and Robert Duvall, and co-starring The Alamo’s Jason Patric, a baby-faced Matt Damon (in one of his earliest roles) and Wes Studi as the title character, this true life western takes an unblinking, fairly balanced look at the tumultuous final years of the infamous Apache warrior.
Following closely on the spurs of Clint Eastwood’s Unforgiven (which also starred Hackman), the film was lost in the shuffle and, unfortunately, dumped on DVD with a pan-and-scan version that destroys a lot of its John Ford-esque panoramic vistas.
Coming Soon in Toon Talk:
Wave 2 of the Walt Disney’s Classic Cartoon Favorites line, with three separate volumes themed to sports, music and adventure (May 31st).
If you just didn’t get enough of young Tarzan and pals in the original film, then get ready for the direct-to-video “midquel�? Tarzan II (June 14th).
Lindsay Lohan continues her remaking of seemingly every Disney live action classic with Herbie: Fully Loaded, co-starring Matt Dillon and Michael Keaton (June 24th).
And Coming Soon from Buena Vista Home Video:
- Something old, something new: the second season set of The Golden Girls and the complete first season of Scrubs (May 17th).
- From the “Wasn’t this just in theaters?�? department: Pooh’s Heffalump Movie (May 24th).
- Lindsay Lohan fans rejoice - her Disney Channel movie Get a Clue and a Special Edition of The Parent Trap (May 31st).
- More Tool Time with the Complete Second Season of Home Improvement; and a batch of Special Editions: a 15th Anniversary edition of Father of the Bride, a Director’s Cut of the Oscar-winning Sling Blade, and Unrated version of Coyote Ugly and, naturally, an Unrated Director’s Cut of Gone in 60 Seconds (June 7th).
- Two recent big screen thrillers: Bruce Willis in Hostage and Christina Ricci in Cursed (June 21st).
-- Kirby C. Holt
-- Logo by William C Searcy, Magic Bear Graphics
Kirby is a lifelong Disney fan and film buff. He is also an avid list maker and chronic ellipsis user ...
Took Talk: Disney Film & Video Reviews by Kirby C. Holt is posted whenever there's something new to review.
The opinions expressed by our Kirby C. Holt, and all of our columnists, do not necessarily represent the feelings of LaughingPlace.com or any of its employees or advertisers. All speculation and rumors about the future plans of the Walt Disney Company are just that - speculation and rumors - and should be treated as such.
-- Posted May 17, 2005