After weeks of rumors, today ABC officially ordered a spin-off of their hit show Roseanne with the working title The Conners.
- According to Deadline, the new program will feature returning cast members not named Roseanne Barr, including Sara Gilbert, Laurie Metcalf, John Goodman, Lecy Goranson and Michael Fishman.
- The Conners has been given a 10 episode order and will now fill Tuesday 8 p.m. the timeslot vacated by its predecessor.
- This announcement comes weeks after a second (11th overall) season of Roseanne was canceled following star Roseanne Barr’s racist tweet.
- Barr will have no creative involvement in or financial gain from the new series after making a deal with show producer Tom Werner. In fact, ABC insisted this be the case before an order for the show could move forward.
- While it’s unclear how Barr’s character will be written off, ABC says it will involve “a sudden turn of events.”
- Also unclear is who will laugh at the end of the show’s signature intro…
- Roseanne‘s revival season ranked as one of last season’s top scripted series and ABC had planned on making it a cornerstone of its 2018-2019 season.
What they’re saying:
- ABC statement describing The Conners: “The Conners’ stories demonstrate that families can always find common ground through conversation, laughter and love. The spinoff will continue to portray contemporary issues that are as relevant today as they were 30 years ago … This iconic family – Dan, Jackie, Darlene, Becky and D.J. – grapples with parenthood, dating, an unexpected pregnancy, financial pressures, aging and in-laws in working-class America. Through it all, the fights, the coupon cutting, the hand-me-downs, the breakdowns – with love, humor and perseverance, the family prevails.”
- John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, Sara Gilbert, Lecy Goranson and Michael Fishman: “We have received a tremendous amount of support from fans of our show, and it’s clear that these characters not only have a place in our hearts, but in the hearts and homes of our audience. We all came back last season because we wanted to tell stories about the challenges facing a working-class family today. We are so happy to have the opportunity to return with the cast and crew to continue to share those stories through love and laughter.”
- Tom Werner: “We are grateful to have reached this agreement to keep our team working as we continue to explore stories of the Conner family”
- Roseanne Barr: “I regret the circumstances that have caused me to be removed from Roseanne. I agreed to the settlement in order that 200 jobs of beloved cast and crew could be saved, and I wish the best for everyone involved”