- In a report on Variety, Disney has handed operational control of their Star Wars: Commander game over to mobile game developer, Zynga.
- As part of this multi-year licensing agreement, Disney has also granted Zynga the rights to develop up to two more mobile games using characters in the Star Wars universe.
- Zynga’s NaturalMotion studio will oversee the production of Star Wars: Commander and possibly two other Star Wars games should they choose to develop them.
- NaturalMotion best known for Backbreaker Football, CSR Racing, and Dawn of Titans. They were purchased by Zynga in 2014. Zynga’s games include Zynga Poker, Words With Friends 2, and CSR Racing 2.
What they’re saying:
- Kyle Laughlin, senior vice president of games and interactive experiences at Disney: “The opportunity with Zynga is the latest step in our mobile games licensing strategy, which pairs Disney characters and stories with proven partners to create unique games for our fans. Zynga’s expertise in developing successful games and running live services makes them an ideal partner and we look forward to further extending the Star Wars universe through these new experiences.”
- Frank Gibeau, Zynga CEO: “Star Wars is one of the most iconic franchises in the world and has engaged generations of fans for decades. As game makers and moviegoers, we’re huge fans of Star Wars and are excited to create new experiences for players that bring this beloved brand to life. We look forward to extending the reach of the Star Wars universe and developing a new mobile game that entertains players for years to come and has the potential to be a future forever franchise for Zynga.”