Disney’s Animal Kingdom welcomed another baby Masai giraffe to the herd. The young calf made their grand arrival on Monday afternoon on the Kilimanjaro Safari Savanna. Disney’s Animals, Science and Environment shared the exciting news on their Facebook page.
- On Monday afternoon, a new baby Masai giraffe was born at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.
- Disney excitedly shared the news on their Facebook page with the following post:
“We’re thrilled to welcome the newest member of the Animal Kingdom Family! Mom, Mara, gave birth to a Masai giraffe calf today around 2 p.m. on the Kilimanjaro Safari Savanna. Mom and calf are bonding well and we hope to share more details soon!”
- This calf is the third Masai giraffe to join the Animal Kingdom family within the span of a year.
- Masais are found primarily in Kenya and Tanzania and they are considered a vulnerable species.
- There are believed to be roughly 32,000 Masai giraffes left in the wild. Sadly, their population continues to decline because of poaching and habitat loss.
- Fortunately though at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, the Masai giraffes are protected, healthy, and thriving.