Freeform has ordered the Party of Five reboot to series. This modern remake of the 1990s TV show will be immigration-themed focusing a family of Mexican-American siblings.
- After ordering a pilot of the immigration-themed Party of Five reboot, Freeform has picked the show up to series.
- The show will be a drama revolving around a family of Mexican-American siblings.
- Deadline reports that original series’ creators Chris Keyser and Amy Lippman will executive produce along Sony Pictures TV studio.
- Party of Five is one of three pilots in development at Freeform, along with Motherland and Breckman Rodeo
- Party of Five is the first to be picked up to series.
Creative team and cast:
- The series will be co-written by Lippman, Keyser and newcomer Michal Zebede (Castle, Devious Maids).
- Lippman, Keyser and Zebede will executive produce.
- Rodrigo Garcia will direct and co-executive produce.
- “The hourlong drama series will follow the five Acosta children (fka Buendia) as they navigate daily life struggles to survive as a family unit after their parents are suddenly deported to Mexico.”
The series stars:
- Brandon Larracuente as Emilio
- Emily Tosta as Lucia
- Niko Guardado as Beto
- Elle Paris Legaspi as Valentina
About the original series:
- The original series revolved around on the five Salinger siblings who become orphans after their parents are killed in a car accident caused by a drunk driver.
- The show starred Scott Wolf, Matthew Fox, Neve Campbell and Lacey Chabert as the older Salinger siblings, ran for six seasons on Fox.
What they’re saying:
- Tom Ascheim, president, Freeform: “Party of Five embodies the heart and soul of what it means to be a family in the most trying of times. We’re so lucky that Freeform gets to be the home for this reimagined story, as we continue to represent the resilience of young adults and the importance of fighting for your voice in times of doubt. We are thrilled to be able to share the groundbreaking storytelling from Amy and Chris with a new audience, and are excited for our viewers to discover the beauty of this series.”
- Jeff Frost, president, Sony Pictures TV and co-presidents Chris Parnell and Jason Clodfelter: “We couldn’t be more excited to bring Party of Five to another generation of fans. Amy, Chris and Michal’s distinct voice makes this series incredibly relatable and authentic. We are truly proud to be part of this journey.”