The Simpsons fans can all breathe a collective sigh of relief as it was announced today the show is returning for two additional seasons…at least.
- Deadline is reporting that Fox has renewed the long-running show for their 31st and 32nd seasons bringing the series’ overall episode count to a whopping 713.
- Fox is clearly not intimidated by their upcoming move to Disney when the $71.3 billion (an ironic number considering the episode count above) acquisition is finalized later this year.
- In addition to The Simpsons, Fox has already renewed their other animated series, Family Guy and Bob’s Burgers for another two and one more season(s) respectively.
- Deadline’s Nellie Andreeva says she’s hearing that the cast of the show have been signed for the two additional seasons.
About The Simpsons:
- The Simpsons exploded into a cultural phenomenon in 1990 and has remained one of the most groundbreaking and innovative entertainment franchises, recognizable throughout the world.
- The animated hit is currently in its 30th season and has received numerous awards during its long run including:
- 33 Emmys
- 34 Annies
- 2016 People’s Choice Award
- 2016 Environmental Media Award
- Peabody Award
- It was the first animated series nominated for an Academy Award in 2012 for the theatrical short “The Longest Daycare.”
- The series also has spawned a hit movie and a Universal Studios ride and was honored with a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2000.
What they’re saying:
- Homer Simpson on the renewal: “Woo hoo! 32 Seasons! Watch your back Meet the Press.”