FX has renewed it’s dark comedy vampire series, What We Do in the Shadows for a second season.
- Bust out the crepe paper! FX has renewed its vampire comedy series What We Do in the Shadows for a second season.
- The announcement came today from Nick Grad and Eric Schrier, Presidents of Original Programming, FX Networks and FX Productions.
- Four new episodes remain in season one with the finale set for Wednesday, May 29th.
- Season two will debut in 2020.
What they’re saying:
- Nick Grad President of Original Programming, FX Networks and FX Productions: "Jemaine Clement, Taika Waititi and Paul Simms have more than delivered on the high expectations of Shadows fans by adapting the cult classic for television and building a passionate base of new and returning fans. We also want to thank the rest of the creative team, including Scott Rudin, Garrett Basch and Eli Bush, and the incredible cast and crew for delivering such a fun and original series, and we look forward to working with them all on season two."
About What We Do in the Shadows:
- Based on the feature film of the same name from Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi, What We Do in the Shadows is a documentary-style look into the daily (or rather, nightly) lives of four vampires who've "lived" together for hundreds of years. In Staten Island.
We reviewed it:
- Mack checks in with the vampires for what one would expect to be a bloody good time.
Meet the vampires:
The self-appointed leader of the group is Nandor The Relentless (Kayvan Novak), a great warrior and conqueror from the Ottoman Empire, who has taken the helm of the group despite many of his Old World tactics resulting in what some might politely refer to as bupkis.
Then there's the British vampire Laszlo (Matt Berry) – a bit of a rogue and a dandy and a fop, he might say. He's a lover of mischief and a great soirée, but not as much as he loves seeing Nandor fail miserably in every attempt.
And then there's Nadja (Natasia Demetriou): the seductress, the temptress, the vampiric Bonnie to Laszlo's Clyde. Her wisdom and provocative tales from times past allow us insight into the many ups and downs of living an immortal life.
Also cohabiting in the vampire household is Guillermo (Harvey Guillén), Nandor's familiar (a.k.a. servant/protector during the daylight hours), who wants nothing more than to be made a real vampire just like his master.
Also lurking about is Colin Robinson (Mark Proksch), an energy vampire and day-walker of sorts — he feasts on humans, but not on their blood.
A frequent visitor is Nadja's new friend, Jenna (Beanie Feldstein), a student at a nearby community college. She loves LARPing, boys, and art history, and for some reason has been rather confused lately as to why it is she so ravenously craves the flesh of the living.
After an unexpected visit from their dark lord and leader, Baron Afanas, the vampires are reminded of what they were initially tasked with upon their arrival in Staten Island over a hundred years ago – total and complete domination of the New World. But what exactly is the best way to go about achieving said domination? Our vérité camera crew follows along as the vampires set out to answer this query.
- Jemaine Clement created the 10-episode first season of the series.
- Executive producers:
- Jemaine Clement
- Taika Waititi
- Paul Simms
- Scott Rudin
- Garrett Basch
- Eli Bush
What We Do in the Shadows stars:
- Matt Berry
- Kayvan Novak
- Natasia Demetriou
- Harvey Guillén
- Mark Proksch