ABC’s Robin Roberts is inviting Disney fans to join her on a journey into the heart of the The Lion King ahead of the live-action film’s release. The Lion King: Can You Feel The Love Tonight with Robin Roberts is coming to ABC this summer and will give fans a behind the scenes look at the new film and the legacy of The Lion King.
- Robin Roberts and ABC News will bring viewers into the heart of The Lion King’s timeless appeal and capture the excitement of the highly anticipated new film with the prime-time special The Lion King: Can You Feel The Love Tonight with Robin Roberts.
- Airing Tuesday, July 16 (8:00 – 9:00 pm EDT), on ABC, the one-hour special hosted and co-executive produced by Robin Roberts features:
- Interviews with cast and crew
- Special behind-the-scenes footage
- The debut of an exclusive unreleased scene from the new movie
- And More
- Since The Lion King’s 1994 debut as an animated feature film, its universal themes have resonated with audiences around the world and has a fixed place in popular culture.
- Director Jon Favreau brings the beloved characters to the big screen in a whole new way in the 2019 version, which opens July 19.
- The special is a co-production between Roberts’ Rock’n Robin Productions and ABC News’ Lincoln Square Productions.
- The Lion King: Can You Feel The Love Tonight with Robin Roberts will explore the enduring universal appeal of The Lion King franchise, tap into its past and how it came to be, and offer a glimpse into its future.
- Roberts speaks with director Jon Favreau and gets an exclusive, behind-the-scenes visit to the studios where the new film is being mixed.
- The special will also feature interviews with members of the new film’s all-star cast, including:
- Donald Glover
- Seth Rogen
- Billy Eichner
- Alfre Woodard
- Chiwetel Ejiofor
- They discuss the film’s impact on their lives and what it means for them now to be a part of the global phenomenon. Also paying tribute to the iconic Disney story and its 25-year legacy are original voice actors:
- Whoopi Goldberg
- Matthew Broderick
- Jeremy Irons
- As well as Elton John
What they’re saying:
- Robin Roberts: “The legacy of The Lion King is absolutely incredible, and I’m excited to give fans a special look at this iconic film. It’s a dazzling glimpse into what it takes to bring The Lion King to life in its many forms and how meaningful it has become for the cast members of both the original and new film, as well as Broadway and music legends.”
- Just yesterday, Disney announced that tickets for the highly anticipated film would go on sale on June 24.
- In addition to tickets, fans can also pre-order The Lion King soundtrack ahead of its July 19 release. The soundtrack will also be available on digital on July 11 and will feature beloved classic songs as well as a new single, “Never Too Late.”