Following the events of Hurricane Dorian, H.A.L.O., a No-Kill Rescue shelter recently welcomed 83 displaced animals the islands, and were in desperate need for additional linens. A group of Disney VoluntEARS from Disney’s Vero Beach Resort answered the call for help, donating blankets, towels, and sheets—and some TLC—to the shelter and its animals.
- The Disney Parks Blog shared a story this morning about the generous response of Disney VoluntEARS to the H.A.L.O. Animal Shelter.
- 83 dogs and one cat were recently rescued from The Bahamas after Hurricane Dorian and taken to a new home at the H.A.L.O. No-Kill Rescue animal shelter.
- Located in Sebastian, FL the shelter was happy to help the furry friends, but they were also in desperate need for linens.
- When the dogs and cat came to H.A.L.O., they were monitored, cared for, and kept in quarantine area for 14 days. At the end of this period, the shelter needed to disposed of the linens used for the animals to prevent the spread of disease.
- Teams from Disney’s Vero Beach Resort and Walt Disney World Textile Services stepped up to help by donating a total of 600 blankets, sheets, and towels to H.A.L.O.
- Disney VoluntEARS from the Vero Beach Resort stopped by the shelter to deliver the linens and share some love with the Bahamian animals.
- H.A.L.O. will continue to provide a home for the adorable animals who are up for adoption.
Help in time of need:
- When Hurricane Dorian came through The Bahamas, it left areas of the island badly damaged, and also left the Humane Society of Grand Bahama without any food or medical supplies to care for animals.
- So the Humane Society and H.A.L.O. worked together to come up with a plan to bring the animals to Florida.
- Now the 83 furry pals are safe at new home and awaiting their forever homes.
What they’re saying:
- H.A.L.O.’s Director of Development Allyson Bootes: “We are so appreciative of the linen donation and the help we received from the Cast Members down the road at Disney’s Vero Beach Resort. We were in a critical period of need after the hurricane, and this support could not have come at a better time!”
Disney and disaster relief:
- Disney is doing even more to help those impacted by Hurricane Dorian.
- Earlier this year, the company announced they were committing $1 million to disaster relief and recovery in The Bahamas.
- Additionally, Disney also donated essentials including:
- Medical supplies
- Cleaning supplies
- Construction materials
- The Disney Cruise Line is also supporting its Bahamian-based Crew Members who live in impacted areas.