Taika Waititi, director of Thor: Ragnarok, Jojo Rabbit, and the upcoming 8th episode of The Mandalorian, has added a few new actors to the cast of his upcoming film, Next Goal Wins, according to Deadline.
- Taika Waititi is currently working on his newest film, Next Goal Wins and has added four new members to the cast: Flight of the Conchords’ Rhys Darby, Mad Max: Fury Road‘s Angus Sampson, Fighting Season‘s Chris Alosio and Smilf‘s Sisa Grey.
- These four actors will join the previously announced cast: Michael Fassbender (Alien: Covenant, Dark Phoenix), Elizabeth Moss (The Handmaid’s Tale), Oscar Kightley (Moana), David Fane (Fresh Eggs, 800 Words), Beulah Koale (Hawaii Five-O), Lehi Falepapalangi (Hawaii Five-O, Future Man), Semu Filipo (Auckland Daze), Uli Latukefu (Alien: Covenant), Rachel House (Moana, Thor: Ragnarok) and an actress making her debut, Kaimana.
- The production will be released by Fox Searchlight, making this the second title for Taika Waititi under the banner, the first being the award-winning Jojo Rabbit.
- In an adaptation of the 2014 British soccer documentary of the same name, Next Goal Wins focuses on the story of the worst loss in World Cup history, the American Samoa team’s loss to Australia 31-0 back in 2001. The American Samoa team tries to recruit Dutch coach Thomas Rongen (played by Michael Fassbender) in preparation for the approaching 2014 World Cup in the hopes of turning their luck around.
- Next Goal Wins is still in production, and has no release date as of yet.