With EPCOT officially reopening to guests today, many have wondered if some of the plans for the park’s massive makeover will be affected by the temporary closure and shifting economics. Now, Disney has confirmed that they are pausing development on two previously announced projects: a Mary Poppins-inspired attraction and a refurbishment for the classic Spaceship Earth.
- Today, some guests visiting the EPCOT Experience preview center noticed that references to the Spaceship Earth and Mary Poppins projects had been removed.
- When asked about the change, Disney confirmed that both attractions were postponing development.
- Disney is reassessing projects in light of the current situation, with some projects moving forward such as the recently announced retheme of Splash Mountain to feature characters from Princess and the Frog.
- Both of the impacted projects were first announced at the 2019 D23 Expo.
- While opening dates for either attraction had been announced, the current version of Spaceship Earth was initially slated to close in May of this year.
- Instead, the famed ride will continue to operate in its existing form for the time being.