- Hulu has announced that Gillian Anderson (The Crown, The X-Files) will be joining the cast of The Great season two.
- Anderson will play the role of Joanna, Catherine’s (Elle Fanning) mother in a two-episode appearance.
- Joanna is a socialite from Germany known as the “maestro of marriage” for her abilities to arrange partnerships for her daughters. She has heard rumors of her daughter’s coup and heads to Russia to see it for herself. During her appearance, it soon becomes clear that Joanna has more sinister intentions to save her family’s reputation.
About the Show:
- The Great is a satirical, comedic drama about the rise of Catherine the Great from outsider to the longest-reigning female ruler in Russia's history. With only occasional historical facts, the series stars Elle Fanning as Catherine, Nicholas Hoult, Phoebe Fox, Adam Godley, Gwilym Lee, Charity Wakefield, Douglas Hodge, Sacha Dhawan, Bayo Gbadamosi and Belinda Bromilow.
- The Great is created, written and executive-produced by Tony McNamara and executive-produced by Marian Macgowan, Thruline’s Josh Kesselman and Ron West, Echo Lake’s Brittany Kahan Ward, Doug Mankoff and Andrew Spaulding, Elle Fanning, Nicholas Hoult, Mark Winemaker and Matt Shakman.
You can catch season one of The Great streaming exclusively on Hulu.