A long-time fan favorite restaurant at Universal Studios Florida, the Classic Monsters Cafe, has now permanently closed, as reported by ClickOrlando.com.
- The quick service location originally opened with the park in 1990 as Studio Stars, a generic movie-based full-service restaurant. Studio Stars featured memorabilia and celebrity photos from the golden age of Hollywood.
- In 1998, the restaurant was transformed into the Classic Monsters Cafe, with a beautiful four-part interior themed to Universal’s Classic Monsters, including Dr. Frankenstein, The Wolf Man, Dracula and the Creature From the Black Lagoon.
- Originally the restaurant served up a more generic menu, but the menu was overhauled in recent years to feature BBQ fare.
- After more than 20 years at the park, Universal Orlando confirmed today that the restaurant has permanently closed.
- “Monster’s Café has closed to make way for a new dining experience. More details will be shared at a later time – stay tuned to our website for updates.” a spokesperson with Universal Orlando said in a statement.
- Universal has not said what will replace the quick service restaurant in the future, but rumors have been pointing towards a possible Minions theme to go along with the nearby Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem and the rumored Minions-themed replacement for Shrek 4D.
- For more information on the history of Universal Studios’ Classic Monsters Cafe, check out this excellent article from the official Discover Universal blog.
Laughing Place recommends UniversalFanTravel.com for all your Universal Orlando Resort travel planning