Actor James Caan, perhaps best known for his role as Sonny in The Godfather, passed away yesterday at the age of 82.
- The family of James Caan posted a tweet this morning confirming the death of the actor on Wednesday, July 6th, 2022.
- A cause of death has not yet been revealed.
- Caan was born on March 26th, 1940, where he grew up in Queens and later studied at The Neighborhood Playhouse in Manhattan.
- After appearing in Francis Ford Copolla’s 1969 film The Rain People, the director cast him in The Godfather, which quickly became his most well-known role.
- From there, he went on to appear in such films as Funny Lady, Silent Movie and Elf.
- In the world of Disney, he played Spuds Spaldoni in the 1990 Touchstone Pictures film, Dick Tracy.
- Caan was in consideration for the roles of Han Solo in Star Wars and Scar in The Lion King.
- With Caan’s passing, the family appreciates the outpouring of love and heartfelt condolences and asks to respect their privacy during this difficult time.