Just announced during Disney’s 2023 Annual Meeting of Shareholders, a live-action version of the hit animated film, Moana, is now in the works.
- News of the Moana live-action adaptation was announced by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, who plays Maui in the animated original, during the Shareholders Meeting.
- Like its animated predecessor, the film will celebrate the islands, communities and traditions of Pacific Islanders as seen through the eyes of a young woman eager to pave her own path. Moana’s journey of self-discovery and reflection on the lives of her ancestors won hearts worldwide, as did her newfound friendship with an exiled demigod named Maui.
- Johnson plans to “return to the fictional world to set sail with Moana,” and will produce via his Seven Bucks Productions.
- Jared Bush, who wrote the screenplay for the original movie, is back to write the remake.
- Samoan industry pro Dana Ledoux Miller will also take part in the production.
- Currently, there is no director attached to the project.
- The original voice of Moana, Auli‘i Cravalho, will serve as an executive producer and said “I’m looking forward to sharing her story in a whole new way.”
- Watch the announcement for yourself below:
What They’re Saying:
- Johnson, who plans to return to the fictional world to set sail with Moana, said: “I’m deeply humbled and overcome with gratitude to bring the beautiful story of Moana to the live action big screen. This story is my culture, and this story is emblematic of our people’s grace and warrior strength. I wear this culture proudly on my skin and in my soul, and this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to reunite with Maui, inspired by the mana and spirit of my late grandfather, High Chief Peter Maivia, is one that runs very deep for me. I want to thank my partners at Disney for their strong commitment to this special endeavor, because there is no better world for us to honor the story of our people, our passion and our purpose than through the realm of music and dance, which is at the core of who we are as Polynesian people.”
- Native Hawaiian actor Cravalho, who helped shape Moana in the original film, said the beloved protagonist’s reach is sweeping. “She has had such a profound impact on how we think of Disney princesses. Moana’s strength and perseverance are inspiring—to audiences around the world, to me and to everyone who helped bring her to life. I’m looking forward to sharing her story in a whole new way.”
- Sean Bailey, president of Walt Disney Studios Motion Picture Production (Disney Live Action), said: “It’s still early, but the idea of working with these fantastic partners to tell such a meaningful story on a live-action canvas, particularly as we celebrate 100 years of storytelling at Disney, is thrilling.”
Follow along with our live blog for more news from 2023 Walt Disney Company Annual Meeting of Shareholders.