Page 1 of 4
My Disney Favorites
Everyone reading this site has Disney favorites, and that certainly includes myself. And I thought it'd be fun to put some of them into an article for this week's Editor's Report. I've broken it down into several categories. Within the categories, they are in completely random order. I also list an underrated choice in each category - not my favorite, but certainly worthy of much more praise, I think, than it receives.
Now lest this be all about me, please use the link at the bottom of this article to discuss your favorites in these categories. Or send some or all of them into me using the TalkBack section below, along with brief descritions like these, and I'll use them in a future column.
My taste for Disney animated films definitely leans more towards the recent ones. But the one that started it all is still my overall favorite Disney film.
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (c) Disney
- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: I really can't identify why I like it so much because it's the whole package. Beautiful, great story, great supporting characters, great villain (2-in-1), great songs, and the greatest princess of all time. Amazing that Disney's first is still Disney's best.
- The Little Mermaid: Once again, the one that started it all (this time, the modern resurgence), remains the best for me. Probably the songs more than anything else propels this to the top plus it marked the return of Disney. The supporting characters also play a big part. "Wo! What a swim!"
- Beauty and the Beast: Again, the songs. And the great story. And the magic of it all. And Lumiere and Cogsworth. And...
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame: The only Disney animated film I've seen that felt like a serious film. When I think of all the other movies on this list, I just smile. When I think of Hunchback, I get kind of a foreboding feeling. And getting that from a Disney film - something different (a theme that runs throughout this) - is great.
- Underrated: Emperor's New Groove: This is the funniest Disney movie I've ever seen, period!
To be honest, I haven't seen a whole lot of Disney live-action films. Certainly not a lot of older ones. But I've seen enough to have a few favorites.
The Rookie (c) Disney
- Mary Poppins: While I must admit I don't enjoy this film as much as many others (though I do like it), I still marvel at how incredible it is every time I watch. Just a work of art - one of the all time great films, period. With a bunch of fantastic songs.
- Spy Kids: A great family action film. I love films where kids get to be heroes.
- The Rookie: A great family sports film (and there aren't a lot of them). I expected this film to be very good but it even far exceeded those expectations.
- Underrated: The Country Bears: Call me crazy, but I think this is a very good silly family comedy. Full of little inside and subtle jokes for the grown-ups. Lots of silly stuff for the kids. I really wish it had been better received by critics and moviegoers. If you haven't already, get the DVD and watch the audio commentary for even bigger laughs!