Note, while this isn’t a discussion of the film on the whole, we are comparing the Infinity War trailers to the theatrical release. This article does contain major spoilers.
If you’re reading this, then you’ve probably already seen Avengers: Infinity War, right? Watching all of the characters we’ve come to love and invest in facing the biggest bad in the MCU was quite intense. We’re just glad it turned out to be a kid’s imagination, like St. Elsewhere. KIDDING! We wouldn’t dream of spoiling the plot or ending for you. We know how important it is to experience it for yourself. That being said, we noticed some big differences between the trailers and the film. In some cases, this just meant using alternate takes, but Marvel seems to have also employed some truly clever editing tricks to protect fans from spoilers.
Here are some of the lies from the Infinity War trailers (in no particular order):
- Bruce Banner is the one telling Tony about Thanos, not Gamora. “Tell me his name again.”
- Hulk only appears a few times in the film and never helps out in Wakanda (only Bruce).
- The shot of Rhodey, Natasha, and Bruce looking up never happened.
- Peter Parker looking between Iron Man and Star-Lord as they discuss the best plan of action, does not take place in that scene.
- When the flying object is shown in the window of the Sanctum Sanctorum, the image is reversed and it’s Hulk who’s falling and not a Titan ship.
- When Peter Parker meets Dr. Strange for the first time, it’s a different take of the scene from the trailer.
- On Titan, Thanos makes a fist with the Infinity Gauntlet and we see that he has two stones, when in actuality, he has four at this point (Power, Space, Reality, and Soul).
- Shuri is seen examining something via a hologram, but it just looks like a rock. It’s an Infinity Stone.
- When Thor is on the Milano and turns around, the Guardians are nowhere near being huddled together as the scene from the trailer would suggest. “Who the hell are you guys?”
- When the Ebony Maw puts his finger to his lips and says, “Shhh.” It looks like he’s telling Strange to stop screaming. It’s actually a reverse image of him silencing Thor on the Asgardian ship.
- Bruce Banner is the one in the Hulkbuster suit, not Iron Man (although they didn’t necessarily say it was).
- The thrilling clip of all of our heroes running in Wakanda with Cap leading the charge, NEVER HAPPENED! Not to mention, we see Hulk with the gang, but he doesn’t fight in that battle at all (Banner does, but not Hulk).
- Again with the Infinity Stones! In the trailer, we see Cap and Thanos in Wakanda with the First Avenger holding back the Gauntlet hand. It shows that Thanos has only collected two Stones, however at this point, he’s only missing one.
More fun within the MCU:
- Infinity War just broke the all-time highest domestic box office opening weekend with $250+ million, pushing Marvel’s MCU to a whopping $15 billion worldwide franchise.
- Stay caught up with our coverage of the latest Avengers: Infinity War news.
- Kevin Feige took to Twitter to share a letter he’d written thanking fans for 10 years of support.
- Josh Brolin who plays Thanos, shared a video on Instagram thanking the fans and the creative team behind the movie. He seems truly grateful to be a part of the MCU.