Lucasfilm and Star Wars: Force for Change announced Roar For Change, a social media challenge event in support of UNICEF. Fans and families can share their own version of Chewbacca’s roar and for each public post, like, or share on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter that includes #RoarForChange between May 3rd – 25th, 2018, Star Wars: Force for Change U.S. will donate $1 to UNICEF USA, up to $1 million.
How Fans Can Participate:
- Share their best Chewbacca impersonation with some fun Wookie merchandise
- Don Hasbro’s Electronic Chewbacca mask
- Create a a Dubsmash using one of Chewbacca’s roars.
- Participate during Disneyland After Dark: Star Wars Nite
- Meet Chewbacca at the San Francisco Disney Store on May 4th
- Participate at a Disney Store from May 4th – 6th to receive 10% off their Star Wars purchase
What They Are Saying:
- Paul Gainer, Head of Disney Consumer Products Commercialization: “Every year, May 4th has seen fans across the globe become Forces for Change and rally around good causes. This year, as part of the countdown to the launch of Solo: A Star Wars Story, we’re giving them a fun way to support UNICEF while celebrating Han’s legendary sidekick Chewbacca, and his iconic roar, which is almost as recognizable as the Wookiee warrior himself.”
- Ron Howard, director of Solo: A Star Wars Story: “Chewbacca may not always have the best temperament but beneath the gruff exterior is a heart of gold,” says director Ron Howard in the launch video. “That’s why he’s challenging you to Roar For Change.”
- Rajesh Anandan, Senior Vice President of UNICEF Ventures, UNICEF USA: “We are thrilled to team up with Star Wars: Force for Change and Chewbacca to help improve the lives of malnourished children around the world. It’s incredible to see Star Wars fans rally around the spirit of Chewbacca and UNICEF’s lifesaving mission. Together, we can protect all that is good in a galaxy not so far away.”
- Cast of Solo: A Star Wars Story
Who it Benefits:
UNICEF is working in 190 countries and territories to defend children’s rights and, among other issues, help address malnutrition. On behalf of Star Wars: Force for Change, funds unlocked through this campaign will help UNICEF to provide Ready-to-Use-Therapeutic Food packets to children suffering from malnutrition, helping them to have a chance at a brighter future.
More About Star Wars: Force for Change:
Star Wars: Force for Change is a charitable initiative from Lucasfilm and Disney designed to empower and improve the lives of children around the world. Since 2014, Star Wars: Force for Change has raised over $16 million to date for charitable causes around the world.