In an interview with Lin-Manuel Miranda, star of the upcoming Mary Poppins Returns, Disney Legend and star of the Disney classic Mary Poppins Dick Van Dyke explained that he paid Walt Disney to be able to play the role of Mr. Dawes Sr., as shared by The Hollywood Reporter.
- The video above features a clip from ABC’s Mary Poppins Returns: Behind the Magic – A Special Edition of 20/20, which aired on Thursday.
- Van Dyke famously played Bert the chimney sweep in the classic 1964 film, but he also portrayed the banker Mr. Dawes Sr., a role Miranda admits he didn’t realize was him as a child.
- Van Dyke admitted to paying Walt Disney $4,000 to allow him to play the role of Mr. Dawes.
- The money didn’t go directly to Walt Disney. Van Dyke explained to CNN that he was asked to donate the $4000 to Walt’s California Institute of the Arts.
- Van Dyke will play Mr. Dawes Jr. in the upcoming Mary Poppins Returns.
- Mary Poppins Returns will premiere in theaters December 19.
What they’re saying:
- Dick Van Dyke: “I said, ‘I’ll do it for nothing.’ Actually, I had to give him $4,000 dollars. I had to pay him to do the part. And I’d do it again.”
- Lin-Manuel Miranda: “I always, when I tell my friends you’re in it. They go, ‘Oh, he’s playing Bert,’ I go, ‘Remember he played two parts in that movie.’ It’s funny when you’re a kid and you see it, you don’t realize that. You don’t realize it’s you in that other part.”
ICYMI – More Mary Poppins Returns news:
- A little over a week ago, Disney revealed new character posters for Mary Poppins Returns.
- The new Disney x Hunter Original Collection features Mary Poppins Returns items, including everything from boots to umbrellas and everything in between.
- The winter edition of Disney twenty-three promises to be “practically perfect in every way,” featuring a Mary Poppins Returns cover.
- Funko released new Mary Poppins Returns vinyl figures earlier this month.