Actor and director, Lou Diamond Phillips has been invited to direct one episode of the upcoming season of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Phillips will helm the fifth episode of this new season.
- Entertainment Weekly has reported that Lou Diamond Phillips will be directing an episode of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- EW teases it as a “mini Stargate Universe reunion” that will reunite Phillips with Stargate co-star Ming-Na Wen who plays Melinda May on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Phillips will direct the fifth episode of the upcoming sixth season.
- Many things remain a mystery to the audience as the popular drama heads into its next season, but some things are known:
- Mack (Henry Simmons) is S.H.I.E.L.D.’s new director
- Fitz (Iain De Caestecker) is lost and frozen in space
- Phil Coulson (Clark Gregg) is dead as revealed at the end of season 5.
- Gregg will return in for the next season, but is “definitely not Coulson.”
- Season 6 will premiere this May on ABC. The show’s cast and producers will screen the season 6 premiere during a special panel at WonderCon on Saturday, March 30 at 1:45 pm.
What they’re saying:
- Lou Diamond Phillips on being asked to direct: “I got the call when I was directing Fear of the Walking Dead down in Austin: ‘Would you direct an episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.?’ ‘Yeah, done.’ Instant answer, because of the world, because it’s Marvel. It’s big. It’s comic-book stuff. It’s action. It’s mythology. It’s science-fiction. It’s all of that rolled into one. And of course my old friend Ming-Na was on it. That’s crazy, that’s wonderful!”
- Ming-Na Wen on learning that Phillips would direct: “When they told me he was directing, I was just so happy. We had so much fun [on Stargate]. That was a very special two years for us up in Vancouver — for me, Lou, and the whole entire crew.”
Season 6 directors:
- Diamond is just one of several directors who will be helping to shape this next season. Others taking the helm this year include:
- Clark Gregg, who helmed the season 6 premiere
- VFX supervisor Mark Kolpack
- Executive producer Garry Brown
More Marvel television:
- Marvel Television and Animation will host several panels at this year’s WonderCon event. Among the panels are:
- Marvel’s Cloak and Dagger (returning to Freeform on April 4)
- Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Marvel Rising: Heart of Iron (debut of Riri Williams aka Ironheart)
- Hulu is bringing Howard the Duck and three other shows to their streaming platform. Characters from these four animated, adult, series will then unite for one limited episode series titled The Offenders.