Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort guests who use FuelRod to keep their phones and other devices charged while enjoying the parks will soon have to shell out a little extra cash. Signs have been added to FuelRod machines at the parks stating that swapping for a new FuelRod will soon cost $3.
Update 11:15 am (11/1/2019):
- Disney has issued an official statement about the FuelRods and swap charges:
- A decision has been made to not implement the $3 portable charger swap fee until further notice. Guests can continue to swap their FuelRod portable chargers using FuelRod’s owned and operated kiosks at Disneyland Resort for no additional cost at this time.
Update 9:15 am (11/1/2019):
- While FuelRod swapping charges were scheduled to increase to $3 per swap as of today, it turns out the increase hasn’t gone into effect.
- This morning during a visit to Epcot, we noticed that FuelRod swapping fees at the park have not been implemented just yet.
- It’s worth noting that a Class Action lawsuit has been filed regarding the charge for swaps and that could explain why its not being enforced at this time.
- Of course this is just speculation, and we’ll update with any official information.
— LaughingPlace.com (@laughing_place) November 1, 2019
- Beginning November 1, swapping out a depleted FuelRod for a new, fully charged one will cost guests $3.
- Currently, swapping out for a new FuelRod is free.
- FuelRod has been increasing prices at other locations for some time, much to the dismay of people who have paid the initial $30 fee for the product.
We're sorry that you're no longer satisfied with your purchase. If you feel that a price increase is not acceptable, please contact Customer Service about a refund at 1-844-FuelRod.
— FuelRod (@FuelRodPower) September 28, 2019
- If you’re unfamiliar with how FuelRods work, those interested can pay $30 for one charging device. Once the device is depleted, it can be exchanged for a new, fully charged one at any machine.
- The original concept allowed users to get their new device for free, keeping the cost down to the initial $30 payment.
- With the recently-implemented charge for replacements devices, the cost is obviously far greater.
- Luckily, those looking for a replacement for their FuelRod can find a wide variety of inexpensive options on Amazon.