Fox Searchlight plans to release their recently acquired The Personal History of David Copperfield next spring. The film is scheduled to premiere in theaters on May 8, 2020.
- Before Armando Ianucci’s The Personal History of David Copperfield even made its debut at the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF), Fox Searchlight set about to acquire the distribution rights.
- Deadline is reporting that now, the film is slated for a theatrical run starting May 8, 2020.
- Copperfield marks Iannucci’s third feature as director following the British political comedy In the Loop and The Death of Stalin.
- He’s best known to American audiences as the creator of HBO’s award winning series Veep.
- Iannucci adapted the Charles Dickens novel for the screen along with his In the Loop co-writer, Simon Blackwell.
The Personal Life of David Copperfield stars:
- Dev Patel as Copperfield
- Tilda Swinton (Doctor Strange)
- Hugh Laurie (Tomorrowland)
- Peter Capaldi (Christopher Robin)
- Ben Whishaw (Mary Poppins Returns)
- Paul Whitehouse
- Aneurin Barnard
- Daisy May Cooper
- Morfydd Clark
- Benedict Wong (Lady and the Tramp)
- Gwendoline Christie (Star Wars: The Force Awakens)
- Anthony Welsh
- Rosalind Eleazar
- “The Personal History of David Copperfield, a re-imagination of the Charles Dickens’ classic novel David Copperfield, follows a good-hearted young man whose rogue spirit carries him through a colorful life of poverty and opulence. A burgeoning young writer’s life is followed from orphaned infancy to adulthood as he befriends a collection of eccentric characters on a journey of love, acceptance and self-discovery in Victorian England.”
- Written, directed, and produced by:
- Armando Iannucci
- Co-written by:
- Simon Blackwell
- Produced by:
- Kevin Loader
- Executive produced by:
- Daniel Battsek
- Ollie Madden
- Simon Blackwell
- Ben Browning
- Glen Basner
- Christos V. Konstantakopoulos