As has been the norm for Disney Parks anniversaries for a number of years now, a special commemorative guidemap is being given to guests of the Magic Kingdom marking the 50th anniversary of the park.
- Today marks the official 50th anniversary of Magic Kingdom and Walt Disney World as a whole, which opened on October 1st, 1971.
- In recent years, Disney Parks have celebrated the day of anniversaries with special commemorative guidemaps marking the occasion that are only available for that single day. Today is no different with the 50th anniversary of Magic Kingdom.
- Today’s guidemap is sturdy, glossy print with gold foiling and a brief glimpse of the history of the park and resort as a whole, also pointing out what’s special for the day, and the World’s Most Magical Celebration as a whole.
- However, unlike other celebratory anniversary maps, this one only features the map of the park on present day. In the past anniversaries for Disneyland, EPCOT, and even Magic Kingdom, the commemorative anniversary maps also include a retro map of some kind. Disneyland’s 50th Map, when flipped over, would reveal the opening day guidemap to the park. A similar idea was done on Magic Kingdom’s 40th anniversary, and for EPCOT’s 25th.
- Today’s map also notes the future site of TRON Lightcycle / Run, but doesn’t provide any information regarding the opening of the attraction.
- These maps are being handed out to guests individually as they enter the park, and are not stocked in the usual guidemap locations, likely to prevent stacks of the maps disappearing at a single time.
- These commemorative guidemaps will only be available today, October 21st, 2021, at Magic Kingdom. Though we might see a similar one debut later for the World’s Most Magical Celebration, today’s anniversary map is only available today marking the anniversary of the original park of Walt Disney World.
Laughing Place recommends MouseFanTravel.com for all your Walt Disney World travel planning