A few weeks prior to his untimely passing earlier this week, rapper Coolio recorded lines for the revival of Futurama, as reported by Variety.
- Futurama executive producer David X. Cohen told TMZ that the rapper reprised his role as Kwanzaa-bot for the revival, even recording some new music as the character.
- Fans of the series will recall that Kwanzaa-bot was the counterpart to Robot Santa and the Chanukah Zombie. Every year he flies around the world distributing a book called “What the Hell is Kwanzaa [sic]?”
- He originally appeared in the Season 4 episode “A Tale of Two Santas” and again in the Season 7 episode “The Futurama Holiday Spectacular.” He also made a cameo in the Futurama film “Bender’s Big Score.”
- “Coolio was one of my favorite guests,” Cohen said. “He was always totally upbeat and genuinely enjoyed coming in to record as his character Kwanzaa-bot.”
- Cohen also said that the episode in which Coolio appears will be dedicated to him.
- Coolio collapsed at a friend’s home in Los Angeles on September 28th. Paramedics attempted to revive him but to no avail.
- The Futurama revival was first ordered at Hulu back in February with a 20-episode order.
Sign up for Disney+ or the Disney Streaming Bundle (Disney+, ESPN+, and ad-supported Hulu) now