Marvel has reportedly tapped writers Jessica Gao and Jeremy Slater to lead the writing teams for the new live-action series She-Hulk and Moon Knight.
- According to The Hollywood Reporter, Marvel has found its writers for the new Disney+ series She-Hulk and Moon Knight. Both series were announced at the D23 Expo this summer along with Ms. Marvel.
- Marvel has tapped Jessica Gao to lead the writing team for She-Hulk, while Jeremy Slater will oversee Moon Knight.
- Both writers have experience with television and streaming series with Gao working on Rick and Morty and Slater on Umbrella Academy.
- The new live-action shows will be part of Marvel’s growing presence on Disney’s new streaming service which launches November 12, 2019.
- Kevin Feige has noted that shows including Loki, WandaVision, and The Falcon and The Winter Soldier will tie directly into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, however, it’s unclear if that will also be true of these three.
- Gao is the scribe responsible for the Emmy-winning “Pickle Rick” episode of Adult Swim’s animated hit Rick and Morty.
- THR notes that she also wrote and executive produced Lazy Rich Asians for ABC. The pilot was shot earlier this year.
- Her other credits include:
- Nickelodeon’s The Mighty B!
- HBO’s Silicon Valley
- As for Slater, he’s no stranger to Marvel characters, having co-wrote the less than stellar 2015 Fantastic Four film.
- But don’t let that news darken the mood, He also co-developed the popular Netflix series Umbrella Academy along with Steve Blackman.
- Umbrella Academy is based on the Dark Horse comic series by Gerard Way (My Chemical Romance) and Gabriel Ba and is currently in production on its second season.
- Slater’s credits include:
- Netflix’s Death Note
- Television version of The Exorcist
- Meet Jennifer Walters, an attorney and cousin of Bruce Banner who is better known as the Hulk.
- After receiving an emergency blood transfusion from Banner, Walters develops her own powers and green hued skin.
- Unlike her cousin, she maintains her intelligence and personality as she transforms into She-Hulk.
- Jennifer Walters was one of the last major characters co-created by Stan Lee. She made her comic debut in the 1980s and was even part of the Fantastic Four team.
About Moon Knight:
- Moon Knight follows Marc Spector a U.S. Marine turned mercenary who came across the wrong Egyptian god—moon god Khonshu—at the wrong time.
- Spector is just like any other nocturnal, crime-fighting hero, aside from his multiple personality disorder.
- In his comic appearances he’s gone by the alises: Jake Lockley, a cabbie, Steven Grant, a millionaire playboy, and a white clad consultant, Mr. Knight.
- Moon Knight made his comic debut in 1975’s Werewolf by Night #32.