While the fate of Soul’s theatrical release has some speculating it won’t happen, the film will make its international debut next month at the Rome Film Festival.
- Variety is reporting that Disney•Pixar film Soul will be the opening feature at Rome Film Festival taking place October 15-25, 2020.
- The latest film from the studio was directed by Pixar’s CCO Pete Docter.
- Soul was originally supposed to make its theatrical run in June of 2020. However, as most theaters remained closed this summer, the film’s premiere has been rescheduled.
- Currently, Pixar is anticipating a November 20th release in the U.S.
- Earlier this year, Soul was slated to premiere at the Cannes Film Festival which was ultimately cancelled.
- At this time, it’s not clear if Docter will be able to head to Rome for the global debut.
- “Joe Gardner is a middle-school band teacher who gets the chance of a lifetime to play at the best jazz club in town. But one small misstep takes him from the streets of New York City to The Great Before – a fantastical place where new souls get their personalities, quirks and interests before they go to Earth. Determined to return to his life, Joe teams up with a precocious soul, 22, who has never understood the appeal of the human experience.”
The film features the voice talents of:
- Jamie Foxx
- Tina Fey
- Daveed Diggs
- Phylicia Rashad
What They’re Saying:
- Rome Film Festival chief Antonio Monda: “I believe that Pixar represents one of the most exciting and revolutionary new events in cinema in the past 30 years. [I’m] proud and extremely pleased to inaugurate the 15th Rome Film Fest with an extraordinary film that can speak to everyone.”
- Soul Producer, Dana Murray to Variety: “Pete Docter makes films that go emotionally deep. People will walk away really thinking about their lives. We get so wrapped up in our to-do lists. [It’s about] appreciating the smaller things, a theme most people can relate to now that we’ve been sheltering in place. Just enjoying a piece of pizza on the street with friends — small things that feel like the biggest deal right now.”