Dust off the bullwhip and prepare to hear the “Raiders March” in theaters once again, as today Walt Disney Studios and Lucasfilm announced that the legendary John Williams (Jaws, Star Wars, E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial) will return to score the fifth film in the Indiana Jones franchise.
In additional Indiana Jones 5 news, Solo: A Star Wars Story star and Fleabag creator Phoebe Waller-Bridge has joined the movie’s cast opposite Harrison Ford, who will return to play the titular archaeologist Dr. Henry “Indiana” Jones, Jr. for the fifth time on the big screen.
- Legendary film composer John Williams has been announced to return to the Indiana Jones series for the fifth entry in the franchise, currently in pre-production at Lucasfilm.
- Williams has composed the musical scores for all four previous Indiana Jones feature films, and created the iconic “Raiders March” theme for the series as heard in the embedded YouTube video below.
- Actress Phoebe Waller-Bridge (L3-37 in Solo: A Star Wars Story) has also joined the cast of the as-yet-untitled Indiana Jones 5 (though likely not as love interest to star Harrison Ford, as Indy married Marion Ravenwood at the end of 2008’s Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull).
- This fifth Indiana Jones movie will be directed by James Mangold (Logan, Ford v Ferrari), who took over for Steven Spielberg on the project early last year.
- Indiana Jones 5 is scheduled to be released into theaters on July 29, 2022.
What they’re saying:
- Director James Mangold: “I'm thrilled to be starting a new adventure, collaborating with a dream team of all-time great filmmakers. Steven, Harrison, Kathy, Frank, and John are all artistic heroes of mine. When you add Phoebe, a dazzling actor, brilliant creative voice and the chemistry she will undoubtedly bring to our set, I can't help but feel as lucky as Indiana Jones himself.”
- Lucasfilm: “The inimitable John Williams will return to score the film, continuing a musical journey which began 40 years ago with Raiders of the Lost Ark. Williams’ unforgettable Indy soundtracks, packed with all the epic thrills, suspense, romance and excitement that fans have come to expect from an Indiana Jones movie, have become as beloved and familiar as the adventurer-hero’s signature hat and whip.”
- Indiana Jones Twitter feed: “A new Indiana Jones adventure begins July 29, 2022. Phoebe Waller-Bridge joins the cast alongside Harrison Ford in the fifth installment of the iconic franchise. The inimitable John Williams will also return to score the film.”