Disney fans and LEGO collectors alike will be happy to learn the LEGO Store at Disney Springs in Walt Disney World will be hosting a signing event with the designer of the new Steamboat Willie LEGO set.
- The signing event will be held on Wednesday, April 3 from 5 PM to 8 PM.
- Those interested in attending will have to sign up for the LEGO VIP Loyalty Program to participate. You can sign up here.
- Last month, the new Steamboat Willie set was announced as one of LEGO’s most recent winners of their LEGO Ideas Contest.
- Designer szabomate90 created a Steamboat Willie set and LEGO has decided to make it into an official product.
- Earlier this month, LEGO revealed the official Steamboat Willie set.
- LEGO Ideas Mickey Mouse Steamboat Willie will be available at LEGO brand stores, via phone, or by visiting LEGO’s shop-at-home website beginning Monday, April 1.
About szabomate90’s Steamboat Willie design:
- On his product idea page, szabomate90 writes that he was inspired by the original Mickey Mouse cartoon and says he’d, “like to pay my respects to that marvelous production.”
- He also mentions that he’s an animator and avid LEGO fan, and now that LEGO has Disney minifigures, decided to paint the Mickey minifigure to look like the original from 1928.
- Szabomate90 designed the model to be tiny and easy to build.
- His original idea would allow users to place Mickey inside the boat as well as adjust and play with the ship’s cranes.
- Interesting fact: szabomate90 submitted this idea back in 2016. Since then, his idea gained traction reaching 1000, 5000, and finally 10,000 “supporters.”
About LEGO Ideas:
- LEGO Ideas is an ongoing contest where fans can submit designs for LEGO sets. These can be completely original ideas, or something inspired by movies, parks, books, and more.
- Fans create and build their sets using LEGO bricks then submit pictures and descriptions of the design.
- Fans then like/support their favorite ideas.
- Once an idea has 10,000 supporters, LEGO design teams will look over the products and decide if they want to produce those sets.
- Reaching 10,000 supporters does not guarantee the design will be made into a set, but it lets LEGO know that fans are very interested in that design.