- FX has announced that Anna Sawai has joined the lead cast of Shōgun as “Lady Mariko.” She’ll star opposite Hiroyuki Sanada and Cosmo Jarvis.
- The 10-episode limited series was first announced last December during Disney’s Investor Day. Shōgun is a period drama based on the novel by James Clavell.
- The series is currently in production in Vancouver with Jonathan van Tulleken directing the first two episodes.
- “Shōgun, set in feudal Japan, charts the collision of two ambitious men from different worlds and a mysterious female samurai. John Blackthorne, a risk-taking English pilot major ends up shipwrecked in Japan, a land whose unfamiliar culture will ultimately redefine him. Lord Toranaga, a shrewd, powerful daimyo, is at odds with his own dangerous, political rivals. And Lady Mariko, a woman with invaluable skills but dishonorable family ties, must prove her value and allegiance.”
- Anna Sawai (F9: The Final Saga, Giri/Haji) is set to star as “Lady Mariko,” revered daughter of an infamous samurai traitor, whom Toranaga enlists to avenge her father’s death.
- Hiroyuki Sanada (Bullet Train, John Wick 4, Mortal Kombat, Army of the Dead) will star as “Yoshii Toranaga,” a living legend. A powerful daimyo from a feared lineage, isolated and outnumbered by his enemies in Osaka Castle when the story begins.
- Cosmo Jarvis (Calm with Horses, Raised by Wolves, Persuasion) will star as “John Blackthorne,” a restless English pilot major in search of a destiny far from the world he was born into.
Additional Cast Members:
- Along with Sawai, Sanada, and Jarvis Shōgun features:
- Tadanobu Asano – “Kashigi Yabushige”
- Fumi Nikaido – “Ochiba No Kata”
- Tokuma Nishioka – “Toda Hiromatsu”
- Takehiro Hira – “Ishido Kazunari”
- Ako – “Daiyoin ‘Lady Iyo’”
- Shinnosuke Abe – “Toda Hiroshige ‘Buntaro’”
- Yasunari Takeshima – “Muraji”
- Hiroto Kanai – “Kashigi Omi”
- Toshi Toda – “Sugiyama”
- Hiro Kanagawa – “Igarashi”
- Nestor Carbonell – “Rodrigues”
- Yuki Kura – “Yoshii Nagakado”
- Tommy Bastow – “Father Martin Alvito”
- Moeka Hoshi – “Usami Fuji”
- Yuka Kouri – “Kiku”
- Yoriko Doguchi – “Kiri no Kata”
- Shōgun is Executive Produced by Justin Marks, Michaela Clavell, Michael de Luca and Ed McDonnell.
- Marks co-wrote the first two episodes with Co-Executive Producer Rachel Kondo.
- Shannon Goss, Andrew Macdonald and Allon Reich are Co-Executive Producers and Jonathan van Tulleken will serve as Co-Executive Producer on the first two episodes.
- Hiroyuki Sanada serves as a Producer.