FX Networks’ business affairs executive Shola Ajewole has been named to the newly created position of SVP, Creative and Cultural Diversity, FX, according to Deadline.
- Shola Ajewole, who previously was a business affairs exec at FX Networks, has been named to the newly created position; SVP, Creative and Cultural Diversity, FX.
- Ajewole will be reporting to FX Chairman John Landgraf and working closely with talent at the network, making sure FX and FX Productions’ commitment to diversity and inclusion is reflected in all aspects of the company’s culture, creative relationships and content.
- As FX Networks is now a part of the Walt Disney Company, Ajewole will also work with Disney General Entertainment Content’s Diversity Equity and Inclusion team on corporate and FX-specific initiatives.
- A lawyer by trade, Ajewole joined ABC Television Group in 2009 as Director of Business Affairs and one year later became Counsel, Legal Affairs at ABC Studios, rising to Associate Principal Counsel. He joined FX in 2016 as VP, Business Affairs and was the lead business affairs executive on numerous scripted, animated and non-scripted projects and was later selected for the Disney Belong Associate Program in 2019 and the Executive Leadership Program in 2020. Ajewole is also a founding member of the LA chapter of 21st Century Fox Black Employee Network Group (NOIR), Walt Disney Television’s Black Business Employment Resource Group (NOIR LA) and Fox Networks Group’s Pro-Bono Counsel.
- After FX ranked at the bottom in 2015, with 85% of its directors being white men, FX Chairman Landgraf led an effort that resulted in projected 63% of FX’s 2021 being helmed by diverse/female directors – the first time that white male directors will not be in the majority behind the scenes.
What They’re Saying:
- FX Chairman John Landgraf: “I can’t think of a better person than Shola to take this new role as we strive to be more inclusive and continue to develop programming that is more reflective of our world,” said Landgraf. “We’ve had the great fortune of working closely with Shola on the legal side of our original programming, and it became very clear to me and everyone on our team that he was a perfect fit for this position. He understands our brand, has great creative instincts and is passionate about this opportunity to help us improve and diversify the FX brand and culture.”
- Shola Ajewole: “I’m honored to take this new role and excited to work with John Landgraf, Eric Schrier and the rest of my colleagues to help FX build on its tradition of empowering diverse creative voices and championing content that celebrates understanding and inclusion. Throughout my career, I’ve remained committed to inclusion because it’s enormously rewarding from an artistic, business and cultural level. FX has been a leader and a model for change in our industry and I’m thrilled to help us build upon that legacy.”