At San Diego Comic-Con today, Amandla Stenberg officially announced that she has joined the cast of the upcoming Star Wars series The Acolyte via her Instagram account.
- The Acolyte is set to take place in the final days of the High Republic era of the Star Wars timeline (about 50 years prior to the events of The Phantom Menace) and will focus on the emergence of secretive dark side powers.
- An acolyte in the Star Wars universe has typically referred to a Sith who has just begun their training under an experienced Sith Lord, specifically the Rule of Two, under which there are only ever two Sith in existence at a time — one master and one apprentice.
- Stenberg, whose break-out role was in The Hunger Games, is currently in talks to feature in a lead role, but what role that will be has not yet been confirmed.
- The show’s writer, executive producer and showrunner is Leslye Headland.
- The Acolyte is expected to begin production sometime in mid-2022.
Be sure to follow along right here for all of our San Diego Comic-Con 2022 coverage all weekend long.