In recognition of Disney’s Ultimate Princess Celebration, ELLE is turning the spotlight on real life heroines who share the values of courage and kindness, much like Disney's beloved princesses. The Modern Heroines series kicked off in August and now ELLE is celebrating two new trailblazers.
- As part of the “Modern Heroines” campaign, ELLE and Disney are focusing on real-life heroes and heroines who embody the courage and kindness of the beloved Disney Princess characters.
- Available now online and featured in the February 2022 issue, ELLE is profiling two “Modern Heroines” who dream fearlessly and inspire future generations to create a better world.
- This month ELLE’s Modern Heroines include:
- Reshma Saujani (The Brave Advocate)
- Halima Aden (The Self-Made Model)
- In the profile Saujani shares her story about paternity leave and why she’s fighting so hard for businesses to better compensate working mothers.
- As for Aden, she’s the first model who wears a hijab to earn mainstream success within her field. Now she’s working as a global brand ambassador for Modanisa and has written a children’s book about her life in a Kenyan refugee camp.
- In addition to Saujani and Aden, ELLE has celebrated seven other Modern Heroines and will continue to launch new profiles monthly through April 2022. So stay tuned!
Modern Heroines on their Favorite Princesses:
- Reshma Saujani on Merida: “Perfectionism is ingrained in the way we raise girls. The antidote is bravery. Merida is headstrong and fearless; she doesn’t care what anybody else thinks. She’s the perfect example of living life brave, not perfect.”
- Halima Aden on Mulan: “She wasn’t born or married into royalty; she had an interesting story. She’s strong, fierce, and will make the necessary sacrifices to put her family first.”
Other Modern Heroines:
- ELLE’s “Modern Heroines” series launched in August during World Princess Week with four women featured in the first group of heroines:
- Eva Longoria (Jasmine): The Generous Multihyphenate
- Misty Copeland (Belle): The Graceful Dancer
- Amanda Nguyen (Mulan): The Brave Justice-Seeker
- Padma Lakshmi (Tiana): The Tenacious Foodie
- In September ELLE profiled two new heroines:
- Naomi Osaka (Mulan): The Powerful Athlete
- Josie Totah (Jasmine): The Spirited Trailblazer
- For November the focus was on:
- Jennifer Lee (Cinderella): The Creative Dreamer
- December and January Celebrated:
- Alyssa Carson (Jasmine): The Self-Assured Future Astronaut
- Chai Vasarhelyi (Mulan): The Courageous Director