Today brought the news Disney fans have been waiting for (and/or dreading) as we learned new details about the transformation of Epcot at Walt Disney World. The Disney Parks Blog recapped the D23 Expo panel:
- First, it was announced that the park would now feature four neighborhoods:
- World Showcase
- World Nature
- World Celebration
- World Discovery
- This means that the former Future World moniker is no more.
- At long last, everyone’s favorite nanny is coming to Epcot.
- The United Kingdom pavilion will feature a new Mary Poppins attraction that will take guests down Cherry Tree Lane to the Banks family home for a new adventure.
- The park’s icon, Spaceship Earth, will be part of World Celebration, and its interior will now reflecting “the universal nature of the human experience.”
- A new guide and some updated narration will now focus on storytelling and how it brings people together.
- Also at the park entry, a new statue of Walt Disney will reside on Dreamer’s Point.
- Elsewhere in World Celebration, a new pavilion will be headquarters for Epcot’s many festivals,
- The three-level pavilion will offer views of World Showcase and “will fast become a new icon for Epcot.”
Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind
- Years after being announced as a Guardians of the Galaxy attraction and later a coaster, we finally have an official name: Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind.
- The ride will also include a reverse launch and will rotate to focus on the story, creating a thrilling yet family-friendly coaster.
Journey of Water, Inspired by “Moana”
- As announced earlier this week, Journey of Water, Inspired by “Moana” will be coming to Epcot.
- This “lush exploration trail” will allow guests to interact with magical, living water and learn about the importance of the natural water cycle.
- While we already knew a PLAY! Pavilion was coming, today we learned some new details.
- The pavilion will feature games, activities, and more.
- Among the experiences that will be featured in the pavilion are Edna Mode on a style quest and a (presumably virtual) water balloon fight with Huey, Dewey, Louie, and Webby.
Other Project Updates
- The announced Beauty and the Beast Sing-Along that will share space with Impressions de France will arrive in January 2020.
- Following the run of Epcot Forever (which debuts on October 1st), the new nighttime spectacular celebrating Disney music around the world will be called HarmonioUS.
- Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure will open in the France Pavilion next summer.
- Nearby, the new La Crêperie de Paris will begin offering both table- and quick-service options around the same time.
- Coming in 2020, the new Canada Pavilion film will be titled Canada Far and Wide in Circle-Vision 360.
- Speaking of World Showcase films, Wonderous China will be presented in a completely seamless 360-degree digital format.
- Lastly, The Land pavilion’s Awesome Planet is set to debut in January 2020.
Walt Disney Imagineering presents the Epcot Experience
- Finally, starting October 1st, guests visiting Epcot will be able to learn all about these plans thanks to the Walt Disney Imagineering presents the Epcot Experience.
- The preview center will be held in the Odyssey Events Pavilion.
- There “you’ll discover engaging and interactive exhibits that showcase the relentless innovation, energy and excitement driving the park’s future throughout this unprecedented period of transformation.”
- For future updates and these and other Walt Disney World additions, check out our Project Tracker.