Fans of ABC’s The Goldbergs know the family and especially the JTP (“JTP!”) frequent the Jenkintown Wawa for some of their essentials or just a rousing game of Smash Ball. Well this week, Wawa is celebrating its anniversary with a fun throwback to the 80s featuring the sitcom family.
- Wawa, Inc. is currently hosting Wawa Week with The Goldbergs, a celebration of its founding and the 57th anniversary of its entrance into the retail business.
- This year, to commemorate the occasion, Wawa is stepping back in time to the 1980s! – featuring a special celebration of everyone’s favorite ‘80s-themed family show, The Goldbergs!
- Plus in 2021 the company is celebrating the seventh anniversary of The Wawa Foundation with their Look Back, Give Back, and Throwback initiative.
- To further mark this historic milestone, customers are invited to join Wawa and The Wawa Foundation throughout Wawa Week in giving back to local children’s hospitals.
- Among the Wawa Week events is the 1980s Throwback Celebration with The Goldbergs. From April 16 through April 23, all Wawa stores chainwide will feature:
- ‘80s music
- Themed signage
- In-store audio clips of fun catchphrases and Wawa references from the show
- Wawa’s fuel pumps will also feature famous Wawa scenes from the series.
- The Jenkintown Wawa, home of the JTP (The Jenkintown Posse) will be retrofitted with logos, signage and other elements to transform it back to the ’80s when the JTP played “Smash Ball” in the parking lot.
- Additionally, fans can participate in a sweepstakes drawing for a chance to win totally rad The Goldbergs viewing kits just in time for the newest episode on April 21st!
- Swag included within Official Viewing Kit includes:
- Wawa Week with The Goldbergs T-Shirt
- “The Goldbergs” black sling bag with red logo
- 16 oz Sunsplash Double Wall Tumbler with Blue Straw
- Grey Fanny Pack with Black “The Goldbergs” logo
- Silver coil spring with “The Goldbergs” logo in black
- Yellow Quatro Pen with highlighter with blue “The Goldbergs” logo
- (3) stickers including “The Goldbergs” logo, “Cast & The Goldbergs” logo and “I Love the 80s” logo
- Plastic purples sunglasses with The Goldbergs logo
- The Goldbergs Poster
- The sweepstakes are open from April 14 – April 19, and no purchase is necessary to enter. Open only to permanent legal residents of 50 US & DC 18 or older.
- Finally guests looking for opportunities to Give Back can purchase a cup of coffee on April 16 and a The Goldbergs Garlic Cheesy Chicken Parm Hoagie from April 16 through April 23 to benefit the Children’s Miracle Network.
- A portion of proceeds (up to $100,000) will go toward member hospitals’ pediatric care efforts.
What They’re Saying:
- Chris Gheysens, Wawa’s President and CEO: “Wawa Week provides us with the perfect opportunity to look back upon and thank the millions of customers we’ve had the pleasure of serving over the past 57 years. This past year has no doubt been a difficult one for us all, so, as we remember the 1980s with fun look backs and throwbacks, we are thrilled to give back to the community we serve in more ways than ever and to celebrate this milestone of Wawa and The Wawa Foundation. Happy Wawa Week, everyone!”
- Chris Gheysens: “We are thrilled to mark such a momentous milestone in The Wawa Foundation’s history, one that could not have been reached without the unwavering support of our customers, associates and communities. As the Foundation looks to the future, we pledge to continue championing life-saving research and the care of people in need, leading hunger relief efforts and supporting the heroes who make a difference every day. To everyone who has supported our work, thank you! Together, we’ve made, and continue to make, a true difference in our communities.