Taylor Swift, Fifth Harmony, Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez were among the top winners tonight at the 2016 Radio Disney Music Awards (RDMA), music’s biggest event for families, which took place at Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles and included performances by Ariana Grande, Daya, DNCE, Flo Rida, Hailee Steinfeld, Jordan Smith, Kelsea Ballerini, Laura Marano, Sabrina Carpenter, Sofia Carson, Zara Larsson and a special performance by ‘Hero’ Award recipient Gwen Stefani.
The telecast, “Disney Channel Presents the 2016 Radio Disney Music Awards,” will air tomorrow, SUNDAY, MAY 1 (7:00–9:00 p.m. EDT), on Disney Channel.
A special performance by Justin Bieber at a Tulsa, Oklahoma, high school will also be presented exclusively during the televised special.
Additional highlights from the special include an epic drum-off between Muppet icon Animal and Fall Out Boy’s Andy Hurley; a never-before-seen mash-up of Ballerini’s “Peter Pan” and Daya’s “Hide Away”; the first television performances of Carson’s “Love Is The Name” and Marano’s “Boombox”; big wins by “The Freshest – Best New Artist” Ballerini and inaugural Radio Disney Country double winners Maddie & Tae; and Pharrell presenting Stefani with the ‘Hero’ Award in recognition of the positive impact she has on fans. Minnesota Timberwolves’ Zach Lavine also presented two Radio Disney fans, Whitney Stewart and Braeden Mannering, with this year’s Heroes For Change award.
More votes than ever — over 238 million from around the world — were cast for the 2016 RDMA across five polling platforms: the Radio Disney App, Disney.com/RDMA, Twitter, Facebook and Google OneBox. Winners of RDMA nominations were awarded with the uniquely Radio Disney “ARDY” statuette.
The 2016 Radio Disney Music Awards winners are:
- “You Know You Love Them – Best Music Group (Presented By KRAFT® Macaroni and Cheese Shapes)”
- “He’s The One – Best Male Artist”
- “She’s The One – Best Female Artist”
- “The Bestest – Song Of The Year”
“Bad Blood” – Taylor Swift
- “XOXO – Best Crush Song”
“Perfect” – One Direction
- “So Fantastic – Fiercest Fans”
- “The Buzz – Breakout Artist Of The Year”
- “The Freshest – Best New Artist”
- “So Happy – Best Song That Makes You Smile (Presented By Cheddar Goldfish® crackers)”
“Better When I’m Dancing” – Meghan Trainor
- “#COOL – Radio Disney’s Most Talked About Artist”
- “Stuck In Our Heads – Best Song To Lip Sync To (Presented By BAND-AID® Brand Adhesive Bandages)”
“What Do You Mean?” – Justin Bieber
- “That’s My Jam – Best Anthem”
“Eyes Wide Open” – Sabrina Carpenter
- “Move! – Best Song To Dance To”
“Focus” – Ariana Grande
- “Heartbreak – Best Breakup Song”
“Bad Blood” – Taylor Swift
- “You’ve Got Swag! – Artist With The Best Style”
- “Radio Disney Country Favorite Song”
“Fly” – Maddie & Tae
- “Radio Disney Country Favorite Artist”
Maddie & Tae
“Disney Channel Presents the 2016 Radio Disney Music Awards,” will be televised Sunday, May 1 (7:00-9:00 p.m. EDT), in the U.S. and thereafter, on Disney Channels in 159 countries. Highlights will also be available on Radio Disney, the Radio Disney App, the Disney Channel app and RadioDisney.com. Sponsors for the 2016 RDMA include BAND-AID® Brand Adhesive Bandages, Cheddar Goldfish® crackers, KRAFT® Macaroni and Cheese Shapes, Project Mc², Star Stable Online, and Shopkins.