National Geographic Expeditions and G Adventures have announced new destinations and tours for 2019. Those looking to explore more of our world will not want to miss these incredible tours. While they may not be directly related to a Disney vacation, these very real cities and cultures have helped to play a part inspiring Disney storytelling. You’ve seen the worlds that Disney creates, now’s the perfect time to experience ours.
- Entering the fourth year of their successful partnership, National Geographic Expeditions and G Adventures announce new destinations and tours for 2019 that go on sale this week.
- With the additions, the National Geographic Journeys’ line of small-group tours further expands into South America and Europe and introduces a mix of hot spots and off-the-beaten-path adventures that are designed to challenge and enrich curious explorers while meeting a rising demand for the destinations.
- Our friends at MEI-Travel can help guests choose and book the perfect experience with National Geographic Journeys and G Adventures.
The new and updated tours for 2019 are:
- Highlights of Bolivia (8 days, from USD $1,999.) – Explore the historic capital of Sucre and sky-high La Paz, then experience life at a traditional hacienda among the Jukil community before watching the sunset from atop Uyuni Salt Flats.
- Peru & Bolivia: Machu Picchu to the Salt Flats (16 days, from USD $4,399.) – Learn about Peru’s former Inca capital of Cusco before an Amazon jungle immersion. HIke the Inca Trail, or catch the scenic train, then pass into Bolivia to explore soaring Andean peaks and the famed Uyunni Salt Flats.
- Explore Northern Peru (9 days, from USD $2,499.) – Immerse yourself in the Chachapoyas culture and take a cable car ride up to Kuelup Fortress. Hike through the cloud forest to the Gocta waterfall, then explore tombs from pre-Inca Moche culture. Wander through the adobe brick city of Chan Chan.
- Explore Northern Peru & Machu Picchu (16 days, from USD $4,299.) – Discover traces of pre-Inca cultures in lesser-visited northern Peru, including the mountaintop home of past “Cloud Warriors;” and the eroded adobe ruins of Chan Chan. Round out your exploration of Peru’s fascinating past with an early morning guided visit to magnificent Machu Picchu.
- Discover Portugal (8 days, from USD $1,899.) – Visit the Sintra UNESCO World Heritage Site and sample Fado night with traditional Portuguese dinner and music in Alfama. Visit the University of Coimbra, wander through Diana’s Temple and end in Porto with a Douro Valley Cruise
- Iconic Portugal & Spain (15 days, from USD $3,799.) – Follow the fortified wine shipping route in Porto, learn from a local historian’s tour of Toledo, stand in awe of the Moorish Alhambra and see the colorful streets of Seville in this blend of architecture, history and culture.
- Hungary & Romania Highlights (8 days, from USD $1,999.) – Learn about Budapest’s historic highlights during a guided walk. Visit castles and fortified structures. Prepare a traditional meal with a local chef, and immerse yourself in the haunting past of Transylvania’s Bran Castle in this tour that focuses on history, culture, myth and legends.
- Discover Central & Eastern Europe (16 days, from USD $4,099.) – On this journey through parts of Germany, Austria, Hungary and the Czech Republic, walk sections of the old Berlin Wall with a historian, visit Egerszalok’s salt springs and water terraces, and dip into thermal bath house waters in Budapest.
What they’re saying:
- Ben Perlo, North American Managing Director for G Adventures: “The Journeys story is all about growth. Compared to even two years ago, bookings of these trips have soared more than 100 percent and we’re adding more product for these European and South American destinations to keep up with demand.”
- Heather Heverling, Senior Vice President, National Geographic Expeditions: “We are thrilled with the strong growth of the Journeys line and are pleased to expand our offerings allowing consumers to experience different parts of the globe. It feels good to be able to offer people even more ways to connect with the inspiring community programs and fieldwork each of our organizations support.”
About National Geographic Journeys:
- Launched in late 2015 with a World Tourism Day celebration, National Geographic Journeys has grown from 70 tours in its initial year to 89 different tours in 55 countries today.
- Since last fall, a special focus on expanding Journeys tours further into Africa and Asia helped bring new travelers to Tanzania, Botswana, Mongolia and Indonesia.
- The National Geographic Journeys line of trips offers hands-on exploration, with an emphasis on storytelling, local immersion and social good.
- Priced from $1,099 per person and from six to 30 days in length, the itineraries are designed for travelers who appreciate having free time and flexibility, but value the structure and security that come with group travel.
- Each trip is led by a knowledgeable, local guide called a Chief Experience Officer (CEO) and is filled with opportunities for making meaningful connections with other people.
- Whenever possible, travelers visit projects and community initiatives associated with National Geographic or G Adventures that help improve local livelihoods and protect natural or cultural heritage.