One of Disney Junior’s biggest creative voices is departing for a deal with Netflix. Chris Nee, creator of Doc McStuffins and the Vampirina series has signed a new deal which will give the streaming service access to Nee’s talents. Nee will write and produce new animated and live action series for preschool and all audiences exclusively for Netflix. Additionally, Netflix will have a first-look option on feature film projects from Nee and her production company, Laughing Wild.
Impact to Disney Junior:
- Doc McStuffins will air its final fifth-season which ended production in January
- Vampirina will continue with her team taking over production
- Disney Channel has signed deals with several creators as others, such as Netflix, try to gain traction in the kids & family entertainment business
What They Are Saying:
- Melissa Cobb, Vice President of Kids & Family for Netflix: Chris is an absolute master at crafting characters that kids want to spend time with and telling stories that are representative of all different types of families and communities. She is among the very best and most prolific artists working in kids content today and we are so honored that Chris has chosen to make Netflix her creative home.
- Chris Nee: The beauty of Netflix is that they don’t define me by what I’ve done in the past, but by who they think I can be in the future. I love that they don’t believe in boxes but rather encourage creators to dream big and swing for the fences creatively. Just as important is my ability to define the culture of my company and double-down on finding and nurturing new and diverse voices. My mission is to create work that reflects the world we live in and lend a voice to the storytellers who haven’t always had access. I can’t wait to get started.
- Disney Junior: After eight very successful years with Doc McStuffins and Vampirina, Chris told Disney Junior executives that she wants to focus her career on developing content for Adults 18-49, a ‘general audience.’ As mutually beneficial as our long association has been, we understand her desire to branch out so didn’t stand in the way of her new pursuits.