It appears that chipmunk pals, Chip and Dale will be starring in their own feature length film. Comedy writer and director Akiva Schaffer is reportedly attached to helm the Rescue Rangers-inspired project that will be a live-action/CG hybrid.
- Chip and Dale are getting their own movie!
- According to The Hollywood Reporter, the duo will be the stars of a Chip ‘n’ Dale Rescue Rangers film for Walt Disney Studios.
- Akiva Schaffer of the collaborative Lonely Island (with Andy Samberg and Jorma Tacoma) has reportedly signed on to direct a live-action/CG hybrid about the mischievous brothers who solve interesting cases.
- At this time, it’s unclear if Disney will release the film in theatres or on it’s streaming platform Disney+ which launches on November 12.
- David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman will serve as producers. Their past Disney projects have included, The Muppets and Beauty and the Beast.
- At this time, no plot details have been revealed, however THR says, “it will not be an origin story nor detective agency story. Rather, the take is being described as being meta, something self-referential and cool.”
- Early script drafts were written by Barry Schwartz, Dan Gregor, and Doug Mand.
About Rescue Rangers:
- In 1989, Chip and Dale got their own TV show on the then new Disney Channel. The series ran for three seasons followed by several years in syndication.
- Rescue Rangers focused on the duo and their detective agency where they would take on cases and solve mysteries for animals.