We knew a lot of Disney fans were looking forward to the upcoming theatrical release of the live-action remake of Disney’s animated classic The Lion King, and now the numbers prove it. The upcoming movie performed very well in terms of its first day of advance ticket sales.
- Fandango has reported that The Lion King has racked up the second highest first day of advance ticket sales all year, behind only Avengers: Endgame.
- The online ticket seller also reports the new film has had the best first day of presales for any Disney release outside of Marvel and Lucasfilm movies, a record previously held by 2017’s Beauty and the Beast.
- According to Deadline, Atom Tickets has declared The Lion King as their best-selling first day for any family movie, passing films like Toy Story 4, Aladdin, Pokemon Detective Pikachu, and Shazam.
- The Lion King’s first 24 hours of sales for Atom also earned 4x as much as Disney’s Aladdin and even outearned Marvel’s Black Panther, Captain Marvel and Ant-Man & The Wasp in the same time period.
- Tickets for The Lion King are available now on both Fandango and Atom Tickets.
What they’re saying:
- Fandango Managing Editor Erik Davis: “The Lion King is the summer’s most anticipated family film. With a marvelous ensemble cast, groundbreaking effects, a host of songs we all know by heart and a director who has emerged as a major visionary talent, the recipe is there for hearts to be warmed and records to be broken.”
- “Disney’s The Lion King, directed by Jon Favreau (The Jungle Book), journeys to the African savanna where a future king is born. Simba idolizes his father, King Mufasa, and takes to heart his own royal destiny. But not everyone in the kingdom celebrates the new cub’s arrival. Scar, Mufasa’s brother—and former heir to the throne—has plans of his own. The battle for Pride Rock is ravaged with betrayal, tragedy and drama, ultimately resulting in Simba’s exile. With help from a curious pair of newfound friends, Simba will have to figure out how to grow up and take back what is rightfully his.”
The Lion King features the voices of:
- Donald Glover as Simba
- Beyoncé Knowles-Carter as Nala
- James Earl Jones as Mufasa
- Chiwetel Ejiofor as Scar
- Seth Rogen as Pumbaa
- Billy Eichner as Timon