Back in August, we learned the name of Universal Orlando’s new theme park, Universal’s Epic Universe. Now, we know this new park will open in 2023, according to Spectrum News.
- The opening year of Universal’s Epic Universe was revealed today during a Comcast earnings call.
- During the call, an executive said “We recently announced we're doing a fourth gate in Orlando in 2023."
- No new details on the new area of the resort were shared but we do know Epic Universe will consist of more than just a theme park. It will also include hotels, shops and restaurants.
- Executives also reported an increase in attendance at Universal parks but admitted that was mainly due to severe weather that caused a significant decrease in attendance at Universal Studios Japan in the same quarter a year ago.
More on Universal’s Epic Universe:
- The new project was announced to be Comcast’s largest investment in the parks, though specific numbers were not shared.
- This project will create 14,000 jobs with a starting rate of $15 per hour.
- Universal also shared a graphic showing the amount of land Epic Universe will reside on, and it appears to at least match the amount of land Universal Orlando Resort currently takes up.
- Universal also announced a 50/50 public-private partnership in which Universal is investing $160 million to extend Kirkman Road into the area where the new park will be located, creating the necessary infrastructure for the new resort area.