Bob Iger, along with others, will be honored at the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures opening gala in September for their contributions to the museum, with others being honored for the contributions to the industry.
- The Academy Museum of Motion Pictures today announced details of its opening gala on September 25, 2021 as part of a week of celebrations culminating in the museum’s public opening on September 30, 2021. The Academy Museum of Motion Pictures Gala is presented by Rolex—official watch partner and founding supporter of the Academy Museum—with leadership support from J.P. Morgan.
- Co-chairs of the Gala are Academy Museum trustee and film and television producer Jason Blum; Academy Governor and Academy Award-nominated director Ava Duvernay, who has been serving as an advisor for the exhibition Regeneration: Black Cinema 1898–1971, to be presented by the museum in 2022; and Academy Museum trustee and screenwriter, director and producer Ryan Murphy.
- Bob Iger, along with Annette Bening and Tom Hanks will be recognized at the gala for their leadership of the recently completed $388 million Campaign for the Academy Museum.
- Reflecting its mission to celebrate and advance the understanding of the diverse and varied stories of cinema and cinematic artists, the museum has announced that two annual awards will be presented for the first time at the gala: the Vantage Award, honoring an artist or scholar who has helped to contextualize and challenge dominant narratives around cinema; and the Visionary Award, honoring an artist or scholar whose extensive body of work has advanced the art of cinema. Both awards are generously presented by Rolex. The inaugural Vantage Award will be presented to Haile Gerima, and the inaugural Visionary Award will be presented to Sophia Loren.
- Proceeds from the event will support the Academy Museum’s access, education, and programming initiatives. Additional details about the gala will be announced in the coming months. If needed in September, all required public health and safety measures will be in place, in accordance with CDC and LA County Department of Public Health guidelines.
What They’re Saying:
- Bill Kramer, Director and President of the Academy Museum: “The Academy Museum is committed to celebrating and championing the work of film artists, scholars and professionals—through our exhibitions, screenings, programs, collection and now, through our annual gala. We are deeply grateful to our Gala Co-Chairs and our sponsors for their extraordinary leadership and support of this inaugural event.”