ESPN2 will once again offer live broadcast coverage of the Scripps National Spelling Bee for 2021. This year, SportsCenter’s Kevin Negandhi will serve as host for the network’s coverage, joined by Paul Loeffler and Jen Lada.
- Kevin Negandhi, a co-anchor on SportsCenter has been announced as the ESPN host of the 2021 Scripps National Spelling Bee. Negandhi previously hosted the event in 2016 and 2017.
- The National Spelling Bee semifinals and finals will air live on ESPN2 later this summer.
- In addition to Negandhi, Paul Loeffler, a finalist in 1990 and the voice of Fresno State athletics, will return as expert analyst for a 15th year.
- Jen Lada, a reporter and host on a variety of ESPN programs including College GameDay Built by the Home Depot and College Football Live, will serve as an interviewer and reporter.
Scripps National Spelling Bee Live Schedule
- Preliminaries: Saturday, June 12, 10 am – 6:30 pm ET on ESPN3
- Quarterfinals: Tuesday, June 15, noon-6 pm on ESPN3
- Semifinals: Sunday, June 27, 7-11 pm on ESPN2 (Play Along version on ESPNU)
- Finals: Thursday, July 8, 8-10 pm on ESPN2 (Play Along version on ESPNU)
Did You Know:
- This is the 27th consecutive Scripps National Spelling Bee ESPN has televised (there was no Spelling Bee in 2020).
- The 93rd Annual Scripps National Spelling Bee will feature spellers ranging in age from 9 to 15.
- The finals will be held Thursday, July 8 at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, FL.
- Fans can play along with the expert spellers! The multiple choice Play Along channel returns on ESPNU offering fans a one-in-four chance to pick the correct spelling of the given word. The Play Along version features informational boxes inducing the word’s etymology, definition, clear pronunciation and part of speech, as well as live tweets, the speller’s bio and more.
What They’re Saying:
- Kevin Negandhi: “I’m thrilled to be returning as host of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Due to my schedule in 2018 and 2019, I missed out on the fun, but it’s great to be back to share the stories about the competitors and what drives them at a young age to be the best in the world. I’m looking forward to teaming up again with the best in the business in Paul Loeffler, Jen Lada, and producers Bryan Jaroch and Steve Ackels and the rest of our dedicated crew who love the Bee and what it stands for.”