- The Town of Montgomery, New York Facebook page shared the news of Wright’s passing today.
- Wright was the unforgettable voice of Sebastian in Disney’s animated classic The Little Mermaid and played the original Mufasa in Disney’s The Lion King on Broadway when the show debuted in 1997.
- Additionally for Disney, Wright voiced the character Kron in the animated film Dinosaur and made musical videos, like “Sebastian’s Party Gras,” from Walt Disney World.
- He also reprised his role as Sebastian for a multitude of projects including The Little Mermaid animated series, The Little Mermaid 2: Return to the Sea and many more.
“Look at the stars. The great kings of the past look down on us from those stars.” Rest In Peace, Samuel E. Wright | 1946 – 2021
Original Broadway Cast, Mufasa. pic.twitter.com/MDuQAZJalZ
— The Lion King – Musical (@TheLionKing) May 25, 2021
We are saddened by the passing of Samuel E. Wright, who voiced Sebastian in The Little Mermaid. His iconic performance as Sebastian will always be remembered for the charm and heart Wright brought to every line and lyric. pic.twitter.com/TfZ1N2d24Y
— Disney Animation (@DisneyAnimation) May 26, 2021
- In addition to his acting credits, Wright has had a major impact on his community, as the aforementioned Facebook post points out:
- “Sam and his family have impacted countless Hudson Valley youth always inspiring them to reach higher and dig deeper to become the best version of themselves. On top of his passion for the arts and his love for his family, Sam was most known for walking into a room and simply providing PURE JOY to those he interacted with. He loved to entertain, he loved to make people smile and laugh and he loved to love.”